General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New DNA test.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Sep 2023 08:34

Ancestry sent me an email highlighting a new DNA test. Wondering why they would have designed a new test I opened it up.

It's for pets! :-0 That got deleted straight away.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Sep 2023 11:13

Will they introduce a family tree ( no not that sort ;-) ) so the mutts can connect with their distant cousind ;-) ;-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Sep 2023 11:34

Whatever next :-D :-D :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Sep 2023 12:04

Our cat's tree would be huge as the poor lady was kept souley for breeding as many kittens as she could produce. She was rescued and is now neutered so no more for her bless her :-D

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 14 Sep 2023 13:13

Two of my friends have had a DNA Test on their pets,not through Ancestry though. The reason was because both of their pet dogs had been bought during lockdown as pedigrees but they doubted they were pure. The Rottweiler had some Chihuahua :-S The Parson Jack Russell had different types of terriers but no Parson :-0

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Sep 2023 13:33

Is that a Rothua or a Chiweiler?

Anyway, the mind boggles :-D

If they were sold as pedigree dogs could they have got their money back as they were not as advertised?

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 14 Sep 2023 14:43

I think with the Rottweiler it must be a long way back like my 1% Basque :-0 He is a handsome fellow, they thought he may have some Labrador in him but he didn't and his brothers and sisters look pure breed too.

With regards to the Parson they travelled to Manchester and weren't allowed to see the parents the sellers said because of COVID. They weren't prepared to leave her with the the sellers; you pay your money and take your chances :-0. Strange the sellers never returned their calls. She is a little sweetie regardless :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Sep 2023 15:05

Barking up the wrong tree over the Rothua then ;-)

Didn’t know you could give dogs covid ;-) ;-) But sounds as though they don’t take to the sellers. Lucky she is a nice little thing.

Back to Human dna - funny I,ve got 1% Basques as well we must be related. ;-) ;-) :-D

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 14 Sep 2023 15:19

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Have you any Irish? I have 36% all from my mum though she was born in Canada. I've been told that people from the Basque region did populate Ireland hundreds of years ago. That could account for my brother and one of my male cousins having had olive skin and brown eyes :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Sep 2023 15:59

Yes I do, but only about 14% on the same side as the Basque. The Basque only turned up it the last rejigging by Ancestry.

Wasn’t it damaged ships from the Armada that brought the Spanish to Ireland?

I did see a programme that there were ancient traces.of Spanish in Cornish dna and I do have a bit of that - but not much but it is known, just can’t remember how many grandfathers back.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 14 Sep 2023 18:38

I think it might even be before the Armada

I think the bigger the database becomes with Ancestry the more they are able to refine and narrow down the regions :-)