General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mad dogs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Sep 2023 12:00

Another child has been attacked and a man killed by out of control dogs, the breed of dog appears not to have been stated.

The Gov. are now saying they will get a ban in place for American Bully’s once they have determined the make up of the breed. I thought these dogs had been interbred with a number of other breeds so won’t that be difficult?

I don’t particularly have an issue with a dog nipping someone but dogs who actively go on the attack must be put down immediately in my opinion.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Sep 2023 13:08

It seems, half the XL bully dogs in Britain are descendants of one “killer” inbred pet from the United States that has produced generations of violent dogs.
I've also noticed the number of these dogs that have had their ears cut, to make them look aggressive.
Whoever mutilated these dogs - be it breeder or owner - should be banned from ever owning an animal.

So, if half the XL bully dogs in Britain are descendants of one “killer” inbred pet from the United States, the other half arent!
The few I've met have been really well behaved and soft.

Perhaps a mass DNA test of all 'Bullies'/'Bully' mixes should take place.
Sounds harsh, but those dogs that are descended from the American import, and those proven to be aggressive, should be put to sleep.

I mean, if a person killed another person, we don't put all their relations in prison 'just in case', do we?

Once the rogues have been got rid of, the rest can then be walked without people fearing them.
Regulatory sterilisation of the dogs wouldn't be a bad thing, either.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 15 Sep 2023 13:15

The trouble is they aren’t. We have a Japanese Akita in the town which is absolutely viscous. It caused severe injuries to a docile old Labrador while being walked by a young girl who couldn’t hold it back. It went on to attack other dogs. Obviously everything was reported, but all that happened was that the owner was told it had to be muzzled in public, but they took no notice of that.
A couple of months ago my friend who is a shop owner was just about to close up her shop, she opened the door just as this dog was being walked past on a lead. She has a tiny Yorkshire Terrier and the Akita spotted it. It launched itself into the shop, my friend was pushing on the door to try and close it, but the dog got in and was shaking poor little Molly dog , My friend tried to shield her dog, by getting between them, but the Akita pushed her onto the floor on her front and started mauling her arm and shoulder before the owner managed to pull it off.
The owners just walked off leaving my friend and her dog covered in blood. The dog obviously had to be treated by the vet and my friend had to go to hospital
The police didn’t want to know, they said they were too busy to take a statement, but my friend wasn’t having that, she has escalated the whole thing into a complaint about the lack of police action.
The couple who owned the dog were renting a house, they moved out very quickly, but have gone to another village taking the dog with them, so no doubt it is attacking people there.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Sep 2023 13:40

The owner of the dogs that killed a man yesterday has been charged with manslaughter.

I know that dog behaviour, good or bad, is often downto the owner but how on earth are authorities going to be able to decide which individual member of a breed is good or bad. I would not be at all surprised that some Bully dogs that are not related to the’killer’ line would be on the bad list.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Sep 2023 15:24

Just like to say, the dog breed most lkely to bite a vet, is the daschund!,
The fact that it is small, apparently negates it's aggresiveness :-S

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Sep 2023 18:38

I think all dogs should be registered and licenced. Years ago, you had to buy a dog licence.

That way, the owners could be traced if an incident took place .

But this breed of dog that has attacked people looks odd as in, its probably been inbred so many times, thats its features are all wrong.

If humans reproduce with very close relatives( ie 1st cousins), it can produce offspring with disabilities due to the closeness of genes.

So i'm sure with in breeding in animals, this will alter their temperament and the result can be an aggressive animal.

I'm not in full agreement about breeding 2 breeds. Spaniel and poodle-Coccopoo

and the likes. Just doesnt seem right. Labradoodle. Whats that all about?

Island

Island Report 15 Sep 2023 19:27

They used to be called mongrels Florence :-D Chipping is a legal requirement so owners can be traced but are all dogs chipped? Highly doubt it.

Why does anyone want or need an ugly aggressive dog? Drug dealer? Ego? small underpants?

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 15 Sep 2023 20:09

All dog breeds are the result of selective breeding, some have been around for a long time but 'greyhounds' of centuries ago look nothing like their modern relatives. Nothing wrong, per se, with cross-breeding as some breeds have a lot of inherited problems due to selective breeding and/or small gene pools. If left to their own devices, dogs would end up looking pretty much like African wild dogs.

These 'bully' type breeds are probably bred to be intimidating, and their natural instincts heightened. They also have very powerful jaws, if they grip you they do an awful lot of damage :-( I don't know who would want them, as Island says probably drug dealers, gang members and the like.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Sep 2023 12:42

The dog thatvreputedly led the attack on the dog walker was said to be a bully dog but turned out to be a. Pit bull ( according to the Da ily Mail). The dog walker may have been led to believe it was a bully dog. She ‘rescued’ it from being put down after it but a child. Apparently the bully dog bit the dog walker several times yet she still walked it off the lead with her other dogs.

Once upon a time it was fairly common for dogs that bit were put down before it got worse.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Sep 2023 14:21

names, I thought that still was the case today, but obviously not given as those dogs that attacked are still alive to bite someone else!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Sep 2023 16:00

I was staggered to read that the dog that attacked the girl in the petal station was still in secure kennels.

nameslessone

I was staggered to read that the dog that attacked the girl in the petal station was still in secure kennels.

nameslessone

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 16 Sep 2023 16:51

Some years ago we were living next door to a very nice couple who had a seemingly calm rescue dog. I'm not sure of the breed but it wasn't one that is considered dangerous in any way. One day OH was going to give some garden plants to the neighbour and, hearing her out in the garden, took them round through her back gate. As he went in the dog just leapt at him, tearing a chunk out of OH's upper lip. He managed to get hold of the dog, getting his hand bitten in the process, and the neighbour got it shut away. I drove OH to our nearest A & E some 20 miles away. They patched him up and sent us on to Addenbrookes at Cambridge, a 100 mile round trip from our home. Everyone told us to call the police and at Addenbrookes they took photos of his injuries. We didn't want to go down this route as we liked our neighbours and they didn't seem to be irresponsible people.

They were very upset about my poor OH's injuries but didn't seem to be considering putting the dog down, even when we said "What if it had been a child?". We told them we had been advised to report it to the police but would only do that if they gave us no other option. In the end we got them to promise to ring their vet first thing the next morning to see what he would say. His response was to bring the dog in straightaway to be put to sleep as a dog who has bitten once will do it again. They did do that and we ended up feeling guilty about it, in spite of the fact that we had to do the 100 mile round trip to Addenbrookes twice a week for 6 weeks which cost us time and money and my OH is marked for life.

All this preamble is to say that I agree that a dog that attacks must be humanely put down..

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Sep 2023 22:12

Absolutely agree with you Vera