General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Labels on Medication

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Sep 2023 13:13

This week I started on a new foil pack of a repeat prescription medication and noted that the printed information on the actual foil bubble pack has different labels.

Is this a nationwide thing.... new policy to be 'all inclusive'.... or just a regional thing, because I am nearer the continent than I am to London?

Presumably the lettering is a shortened form indicating days of the week,
In the past, I have sometimes had a French version, once it was Dutch and the new one I haven't yet Goggled to find out.

Today's letters are
So
Sb
So
Tomorrow we have
Ne
Du
Ne
Thank goodness there is a stuck on white strip showing me the days in English.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Sep 2023 13:37

I doubt it is because you are in Kent. I would have thought it is down to where your provider sources from. My brands often change.

It looks to be Eastern European.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Sep 2023 13:43

Although my GP and the chemist, where I collect the prescription are literally yards apart, the requests are sent electronically to a hub in Maidstone ,many miles away, where a robot selects the medication and the dispensed prescription is sent back to the chemists in a van :-S

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Sep 2023 14:41

Sorry Gwen, I meant supplier - the company that supplies the pharmacists. So it would be down to where the Maidstone hub sources its supplies.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Sep 2023 10:50

I've just had a look at the packs and looked at the enclosed leaflet.... 3 sides of A4 no less :-0

It seems both packs carry a Trade name and were manufactured by Bayer in Germany, but at different locations.
The new pack states that the medication is .....' procured from within the EU and repackaged by the Product Licence holder : B&S Healthcare.... (etc) UK.

Do you all have clear UK labels?

I know suppliers do vary and over 20 years ago, I remember my mother questioning whether or not she had the correct medication, when the packs looked very different.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 27 Sep 2023 11:45

Just dug out the old packs I threw out this morning. One is British the other manufactured in Hungary but obviously for the British market as I only found it at the end of the leaflet.

I haven’t yet nominated a pharmacy so I can get my pills anywhere so the brands can be different.
My problem is sometimes the actual tablet changes. One brand I had was a huge pill, luckily have been getting the old brand again. Once one of my white tablets came in a colour. That unnerved me and the pharmacist took offence when I questioned it.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Sep 2023 12:05

Interesting, names.
I think anyone with their wits about them would question different colour tablets :-0

This particular medication is always the same brand. It is only this tablet that has the day marked on the pack. All the others types are just blister packs.

Another tablet I take does differ and some taste really bitter, others have a coating. I only have one a day, so if we are on a bitter brand,I make sure it's taken during breakfast, so that I have something to take away the horrible taste, :-|

Florence61

Florence61 Report 27 Sep 2023 13:08

In the past when I have been on steroids, the brand varies. Sometimes I get the good quality brand in a red/white box and the pills are pink. But when I have been given the cheaper brand, the box is all white and so are the pills.

I did question my surgery but was reassured it was the same strength etc but a cheaper brand.

But we are quite right to question as you just never quite know what we are being given!