General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I was my Dads shadow.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Oct 2023 14:27

As I was growing up ( I think I'm grown up now age 70 ) and went everywhere with him, to where he worked too, I didn't realise how much knowledge I had in my head. Today hubby and me spent about 3 hours unblocking the sink and pipework, nice way to spend Sunday don't you think!?

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Oct 2023 14:53

I've spent many a day doing the same, grubby but satisfyng. :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Oct 2023 16:03

I'm glad it wasn't only me xx.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Oct 2023 16:11

My dad always did the decorating, I don’t think I ever saw him plumbing or doing the electrics. My brothers were later paid, as teenagers, and I picked up a lot by watching so was able to teach OH his to wallpaper.
OH had plenty of fine wiring tools and so was used to wiring bits and bobs up and he has picked up plumbing a bit. Unfortunately arthritis has hit his hands so we are having to call in tradesmen for some jobs.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 22 Oct 2023 18:33

My Dad was a cabinet maker so I learned to wood carve,use a wood lathe and build wooden things from a very early age. He also taught me to decorate and hang wallpaper so those skills have come in usuful over the years. I spent many happy hours in my Dad's shed <3

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Oct 2023 19:31

I did too LaGooner but my Dads shed not yours ;-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 22 Oct 2023 19:43

:-D :-D :-D you wouldn't want to be in OH's shed at the moment it is a mess :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Oct 2023 20:34

That made me smile because hubbies is a mess, he went in it several times today and realised how bad it is when he couldn't find what he was looking for. :-(

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 22 Oct 2023 20:57

We still have a good bit of the workshop tools that came here when it closed.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Oct 2023 22:47

My dad was useless at decorating! :-D

Fortunately, my siblings and I learnt from his mistakes. :-D :-D :-D

Decorating for my dad was a chore - but he loved motorbikes.
He knew the theory, but was useless at the practical.
One of my brothers, under dad's 'I know the theory' instruction, was mending his motorbikes at the age of 10!

I still have a 'whitewood' set of drawers my dad made over 60 years ago - the stain and varnish is awful, but with a bit of my help, the drawers are still in one piece.
My sister can't understand why I still have it - 'It's the essence of dad' is my reply
:-D

One of my daughters is good at decorating - the other takes after her grandad. :-D