General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

An old advert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 30 Oct 2023 06:52

Reading Zzzz's post about an old tv programme has reminded me of this.

Does anybody remember a tv ad, I think probably in the 1970's, all I can remember is that a man was standing on top of a hill outside a town shouting "HARRY" and you could hear it echoing through the valleys. That's all I can remember but it has always stuck in my mind.

For years I had a colleague called Harry, and whenever I saw him I used to greet him with the shout and it used to echo all round the warehouse like it did in the advert. But I have yet to find anybody who remembers the advert. I have Googled it and searched on Youtube but no success anywhere.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Oct 2023 10:13

Couid it have been the advert for Hastings direct insurance

He was called Harry Hastings in the advert

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 30 Oct 2023 20:32

Thanks Shirley, but no that's not the one, Hastings Direct didn't exist when the advert was on.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Oct 2023 07:23

There is a website called doyouremember.co.uk which has a lot of old adverts.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Oct 2023 14:15

Duncan, I can vaguely remember that advert but for the life of me, cant recall what it was for. Yes the name Harry was echoing all around.

I had a look myself as it's going round in my head now lol but sorry no luck in finding it yet.

Florence in the hebrides

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 1 Nov 2023 02:42

Thanks Nameless, I had a look on that website but can't find anything looking like the right ad. But I did see an ad on there for a likely looking Facebook group so I've joined it and asked the question on there.

Hi Florence, you are the first person I have found (out of dozens over the years) who at least remembers it. At last I can stop doubting myself about whether it really was an advert!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 1 Nov 2023 09:02

Was it the frozen Pizza advert that contained the line' That's handy Harry,stick it in the oven ? :-D

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 2 Nov 2023 01:32

LA Gooner thanks for the suggestion, but I have found that to see and that wasn't it.

The facebook group I mentioned has 1.2 million members so I was hopeful, but 24 hours later I haven't had a single reply, not even to say it rings a bell with them. Maybe they just don't like me!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Nov 2023 09:11

:-D :-D :-D :-D.@ facebook . No problem Duncan it was just a thought :-D