General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A nice surprise ....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Oct 2023 22:35

On October 12, we bought a new kettle, a very simple electric one on a base, allegedly boil fast, automatic cut-off when boiled, and automatic shut down if boiled dry.

No bells, whistles, etc, just a nice plain kettle.

It was on sale for $30.00 + taxes and eco-charge.

It took OH 3 days to go through the pre-use cleaning routine, but eventually it came time to use it.

SURPRISE!!

It took at least 1o-15 minutes to boil, about ¾ full

It did NOT turn off automatically, but just kept boiling.

We didn't have time to go back to the store because we were leaving for a week's vacation in Jasper.

It was still the same when we returned, so OH dried it out, gathered together all the bits and pieces, plus the invoice, and took it back to the store. I wrote out what was wrong with it.

But, the store has a 15 day refund policy, and we were just over that time.

OH went out with the intention of telling them that he was returning the kettle regardless of refund, and they could get rid of it!

He was in the store less than 5 minutes!

The kettle was taken from him, my note will be attached to it and passed on to whoever so they know what's wrong, and he got a complete refund to the credit card, including taxes and eco-charge!

That was totally unexpected, but a very pleasant surprise.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 30 Oct 2023 22:49

Oh well done Sylvia. We had a kettle that wouldn't stop boiling once and so you had to stop it manually but....it was several years old and probably on its way out.

Yours sounds like there was a manufacturers problem as def doesn't take that long to boil. You were within your rights to demand a refund even after the time had expired as it was faulty and as you paid by credit card, you would get a refund.

But a nice surprise for you

Florence in the hebrides

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 1 Nov 2023 02:48

I think you will find that the 15 day return policy applies only if there is nothing wrong but you have changed your mind - for example got it home and somebody didn't like the colour.

As it was faulty the manufacturers guarantee would apply - probably for a year.

I appreciate that Canada may be different from the UK. But the instruction booklet usually weighs as much as the kettle does because it contains all the instructions (such as "do not eat the lid") in every language under the sun, so presumably the guarantee will still apply.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Nov 2023 11:29

"do not eat the lid", Duncan that made me howl :-D :-D :-D :-D

But yes, the instruction booklets are really thick and also the print is so small, it takes ages to find the English/GB version!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Nov 2023 11:52

Well done Sylvia. are the conditions the same as UK? In other words the kettle did not do what it was supposed to do. Not switching off could be dangerous. Glad you got your money back anyway.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Nov 2023 23:56

The instruction book was very thin! The thinnest I think we've ever had!

We didn't read much .............. after all, we've been using this kind of kettle for many years. Yes, I know, sloppy of us.

OH did read the "Do Not ....", which was long, and he laughed at many of them. One I remember and had never seen before was "Do not allow this kettle to be used by anyone who does not understand or cannot understand how to operate it".

The idea of the automatic shut-off when boiling is reached or when the kettle is bone dry, was to make it fool-proof.

The other things I remember is that the instructions said we "should" unplug it when not in use, and the kettle should be only filled as full as necessary and should be emptied after every use.

I understand the first ........... may save energy.

But filling the kettle only to the level of 1 cup, then 1 hour later filling it again, seems ridiculous.

We do NOT make tea, and re-heating water doesn't worry OH for his instant coffee or me for my plain hot water!