General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am back

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tylersgran

Tylersgran Report 2 Nov 2023 22:11

I was on here as grannieannie of 15. I now have 16 and two greats. Still doing my tree and i have moved home. Anyone near the Frinton on Sea?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Nov 2023 22:19

Hello welcome back. I remember your name on the boards but I don't think we ever spoke :-D

Tylersgran

Tylersgran Report 2 Nov 2023 22:27

I remember your name but don't think we had the same interests?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Nov 2023 22:30

Quite possibly not :-D. We have a bit in common though as I have quite a few Grandchildren too soon to be 13th due in December and 2 Greats

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Nov 2023 00:02

Hi

I remember you! Welcome back!

You could maybe get your old name and membership back by contacting GR.

Frinton-on-Sea is where I had my first job away from home ............... in 1959, working at a private hotel, where the manager got drunk every week between Sunday night and Wednesday evening. Thursday was recovery day! There wasn't a bar, even for the guests, it was her own supply she drank ........... one week she got into the huge fridge in the kitchen on the Wednesday evening and threw out all the food she found in there ............ that was the food for the meals for the rest of the week for the guests!

The "chef" was a 19 year old girl who had just finished her first year at catering college, and had expected to be the sous-chef, until the chef walked out, and the manager never got around to replacing him. The relief chef was the gardener, who cooked roast beef and bread & butter pudding every week on his day in the kitchen.

Quite the eye opener for someone in their teens! :-D

But it was a lovely place to spend the summer, and I made a group of friends who introduced me to jazz at the Clacton Jazz Festival late night show, after we'd all finished work!

Tylersgran

Tylersgran Report 3 Nov 2023 11:51

That's very interesting Sylvia sounds like Faulty Towers lol

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Nov 2023 12:35

Hello Grannie Annie. I do remember you from way back congratulations on all the grands and greats. I have five grandchildren two step grandchildren, four great grand children and one step great grandchild.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Nov 2023 12:57

I remember you - welcome back. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Nov 2023 23:30

Graniie Annie ..................

you may be right!!!

I was hired as chambermaid, had to also work in the still room, AND learn to do the French-style silver service in the dining room 1 day a week as the waiter and waitress were married and insisted on taking the same day off together, so summer temps had to take their place!

THEN add in the owner/lover who arrived every Friday evening from London for the weekend

Was it any wonder we spent all our free afternoons sitting on the pill boxes near the Grand Hotel, along with some of their staff and locals?

Sun, fresh air, and freedom from "Madame"!

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 4 Nov 2023 10:02

I can't say I remember you but I only found the General Chat Board about 10 years ago and used to keep my head down initially....welcome back anyway :-)

Sylvia, your recollection of your first job away from home made me laugh :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Nov 2023 23:42

LB

Thank you!

University couldn't provide any greater shocks after that summer!

Tylersgran

Tylersgran Report 6 Nov 2023 22:11

Wished we had a like button on here like facebook !!

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 9 Nov 2023 20:15

HI I remember you from way back.
I used to Live t Dovercourt, worked at the Warners Holiday camp there for while, where HI DI HI was filmed.

Worked at Bradfield and Tendring areas too