General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Really really really fed up now.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 7 Nov 2023 14:47

Can't get NHS appointments for Hearing test and hearing aids, also eye tests and glasses grr grr and double grr.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Nov 2023 15:08

Why can't you get a test for your hearing? Have you been referred by your GP.. you wouldn't get NHS hearing aids unless you first have a hearing test. It always used to be first a test at GPs and then referral to Hearing services at the hospital. but I don't thin the GP does the tests first now. What have you tried to get a test?

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 7 Nov 2023 16:15

I don't know anything about the hearing tests but Idon't understand why you can't get an eye test. They are free for over 60s and you are entitled to one every 2 years, in some cases every year. I think a few opticians may be totally private but most do tests on the NHS. Have you got a Boots Opticians or a Specsavers near you? Or just ask at your local optician. You do not need any sort of GP referral Help towards the cost of any glasses you need would be down to your own personal circumstances.

I hope you get appointments soon. Nothing worse than not being able to see or hear well.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 7 Nov 2023 19:52

Thank you both, I shall try and see if my GP surgery can recommend any.
PS, I'm not holding my breath lol.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Nov 2023 21:30

I doubt if your GP will be willing to recommend any.

OH uses Vision Express and is very satisfied and I use Boots. I book appointments on line (very easy) and can usually get one on the day and time I want. As Vera says, tests are free, the cost of lenses and frames depends on what you choose. If you have a Boots card there is a often a considerable discount on the frames.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Nov 2023 21:53

Andy’s Mum the GP suggestion is for hearing not eye test.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Nov 2023 12:00

Can you get a GP appointment, or a personal telephone call, so that they can refer you to the hospital for a hearing check?
I'd agree with Ann, that is what has to happen here.

I've had excellent NHS treatment and aids from our hospital's ENT department.

Many opticians will be able to give a free NHS eye test.
You are not obliged to buy glasses from them, if you require them, but can take your prescription to where it suits you to buy them.