General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christmas cards.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Nov 2023 16:20

Does any one still post them or is it all done on the internet? I post mine even those that go abroad.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Nov 2023 16:25

I always post mine and some have handwritten letters in them

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 27 Nov 2023 16:54

I never send internet cards. I only have 1 overseas card which will be posted. I do like to send cards at Christmas, and post those I can't hand deliver. Really I prefer to exchange Christmas greetings in person.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Nov 2023 17:01

I have a few to go to Australia and two to America, the rest are here in England.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 27 Nov 2023 18:18

I usually post mine,except for friends in the village.

But during the covid Christmas lockdown I only posted a few to the elderly relatives, everyone got email greetings. This as mostly down to only having a few cards left over and being locked down hard,

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Nov 2023 20:23

I love to send and receive cards. We moved around a lot in our married life so friends are scattered cards keep us in touch. I make all my cards (about 80 sent) and I buy stamps through the year.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Nov 2023 20:25

I should of added to my previous post that I deliver all our local ones by hand as there are loads of them :-D

Allan

Allan Report 27 Nov 2023 20:52

I only had one to send to a cousin in the UK but with the cost of the stamp being $3.70 I don't think that the practice will continue.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Nov 2023 21:38

That's almost £2.00, cheaper than a flight lol.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 27 Nov 2023 22:20

I send my cousin in Australia a local calendar every year and he sends me one. Mine cost £14.00 this year to send but as you say ZZzz cheaper than flying out to visit lol

Florence in the hebrides

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Nov 2023 22:27

Well what a coincidence, that is what one of my cousins and I do. :-)

Allan

Allan Report 27 Nov 2023 22:34

I could always stick a stamp on myself and identify as a Christmas Card....cheap flight ;-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Nov 2023 22:53

Don't forget to have your own address on your anatomy somewhere. Lol.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Nov 2023 23:11

I send cards, and post most,, but as I give 3 of my grandchildren cash - yes the paper stuff! - I like to give those cards to their mum.

Allan

Allan Report 27 Nov 2023 23:31

I already have my home address tattooed on my anatomy; my OH was fed up with me wandering off and getting lost!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 28 Nov 2023 00:07

:-D :-D :-D :-D@Allan

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Nov 2023 00:24

We send only 6 cards to the 4 great-nieces and 2 great nephews, along with cheques as presents, and another 2 or 3 to folk overseas that we're still in touch with.

We (or OH) hand deliver 2 or 3 cards to neighbours, and of course give to the people we will see on Christmas Day at our daughter's.

Unlike maggie, the kiddies all live far too far away for us to even dream of seeing them more than once a year, if we are lucky.

It seems that over Covid we and many of our friends just stopped sending cards and messages, whether by snail mail or email. We had already started to send about half of our 100 or so letters by email, because it was getting so expensive.

We received out first Christmas card last week, from an old school friend of mine, met when we were 11. Only problem .......... she never ever puts her address on the envelope, and has not put an address on a letter or card she has sent us in the last 5 years. I got to wondering if she still lived at the same address. Luckily, a friend on another site helped me by finding that she was on the Electoral Roll, and was still there So I can send her a letter card.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Nov 2023 10:06

I've got my overseas cards beside me here ready to post. There are just 5 now and another has already been posted.

2 early December birthday cards have also been posted and I put their Christmas card in the same envelope, to save on postage.

Next, I work geographically around the UK, sending those further away before more local ones, then last of all I go on a hand delivery walk around the local area.

I never give cards to my children, nor do they give one to me. We usually meet together and exchange gifts though.
Not sure why that happens, as we give birthday cards :-S

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 3 Dec 2023 18:44

I still post cards, to help cut costs, 2nd class, but over the years the list has shrunk.
I hand deliver some locally.