General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mail Drone sinks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Dec 2023 11:01

A drone that has been delivering mail in the Orkney islands had a mal function recently.
Something went wrong with it in mid flight and it descended and sunk to the bottom of the sea. Luckily it wasn.t carrying any letters at the time.

So for now until they discover what caused the drone to malfunction, normal deliveries have been resumed using the Royal Mail vans!

When they first introduced this system, I was always sceptical about something like this happening. I'm all for new technology and ways to improve services in rural areas but wasn't a fan of this because of what could happen and it has!.

Florence in the hebrides

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Dec 2023 12:32

Exactly Joan

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Dec 2023 16:06

Well I think they are an excellent idea. I don't think the chances of a malfunction are any greater than the chances of a mail van having a road accident.

I know, if I were waiting for vital medication and the weather had grounded all planes and stopped the ferries, I would be very grateful for a drone delivery.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Dec 2023 17:41

I get that Andysmum, but what if the drone had been carrying medication! If a van had crashed, the mail etc can be given to another driver, at least it wouldnt be lost!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Dec 2023 21:38

Florence, in your case the mail has to get to Lewis before it can be put in a van!

When the drones were first started they said that they weren't affected by the weather like aircraft, as they could fly under the storm clouds. They can also be used to reach areas which are cut off by deep snow or floods - particularly useful for isolated farms, as they can drop their loads much more precisely than anything else, except a parachute and that needs a plane.

Another advantage is that they are cheaper to run than aircraft and much better for climate change, as they don't use fossil fuels.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 3 Dec 2023 11:16

Amazon were going to start delivering parcels by drone! So when it drops off the parcel in a garden instead of delivering to the front door and handing it to a person, I'm guessing a lot more parcels will get stolen.

Our mail is delivered to the island by Royal mail's own plane. Even though the ferries wont sail in 50 mph winds, the planes fly up to much higher. I was on a plane home and it was 70 mph, a little bumpy but we got home. The span of the ocean here is over 40 miles wide, so a drone would never be used for that distance.

But also, it cant carry a huge amount and def not parcels as far too heavy.

The only time it might prove useful is to a remote farm perhaps where it has become cut off. All our medicines are held in stock at our GP and 3 chemists plus the hospital. They keep good supplies and I have never not been able to get my usual prescription.

Drones are useful for trying to locate missing people or vehicles if they have crashed off road or to look at damage after a storm etc.

We all have different opinions so guess we will have to agree to differ on this one Andysmum.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Dec 2023 12:03

Agreeing to differ is good - if everyone had the same opinion life would be very dull. :-)

This article is quite interesting though, if you want to read it.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2023/08/02/royal-mail-drone-delivery-service-launches-in-orkney