General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do you do?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Dec 2023 13:05

When you are fed up or a bit down in the dumps to cheer yourself up? That is how I'm feeling now.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Dec 2023 13:15

I get myself a cup of tea, a 'healthy' snack - like chocolate covered cranberries - and do some puzzles.

The weather is pretty depressing at the moment.
I yearn for an empty laundry basket, and a line full of washing, drying in the breeze!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 5 Dec 2023 14:08

Think how lucky I am compared to other people who are suffering in the world. It has always been my way of dragging myself up from rock bottom since having 2 breakdowns years ago :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Dec 2023 14:52

Like LG, I remind myself how lucky i am to have a warm house and food on the table as there are many people far worse off than me.

I used to try and go for a walk as the fresh air always lifted my spirits.

Can you go on a bus anywhere ZZzz to get a change of scenery? Or maybe start a new hobby? This time of year with less sunlight can make people feel down but as i always say to people who look sad "turn that frown upside down," and they always then smile :-D :-D

I don't dwell on the past anymore, only look forward as you cant change the past but with the future there are always choices.

Another good thing is to have a declutter and get rid of things you really don't need as that will instantly make you feel better :-)

Florence in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Dec 2023 15:27

Looking back over the past three years (end of January) when Tony died. There have obviously been moments when I have felt down. I have found several ways of dealing with it. (and I have to say it doesn't always work telling myself how much better off I am than a lot of people). I have found getting stuck in to my card making hobby has helped a lot. Or having an on line chat with my daughter or one of my friends, or writing an actual letter to friends not on the internet all helps. In the better weather spending a couple of hours battling the garden got me out of the dumps. Or going for a short walk. and having a cup of tea with chocolate of some kind sometimes helps. I suppose it is finding the right distraction for you is what will help.

Sometimes just chatting on here is good, but that is not so good as it used to be. Gone are the days of the Christmas pantomimes on here so funny I have sat at my computer howling with laughter. The imaginations ran riot and the pantos went on for a couple of weeks. Happy times when we were all quite new to the internet. :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Dec 2023 15:38

I agree with other suggestions. Chocolate is a boost, as is a favourite book for me, a 'comfort read', nothing sad. ( or if it is sad, that can actually help too in a way to get the underlying emotions out).

But also if you are thinking of the past, and I think that's pretty inevitable coming up to Christmas, try and remember something that made you laugh, it can be just a really silly thing that you shared with someone who is no longer here.

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Dec 2023 15:49

AnninGlos, you cheered me with your photos on FB, for 2 reasons.

The first being the snowy village reminded me of when Dan was little and he and I made a snow scene in the bay window, with cottonwool and Christmas ornaments etc only for the cats we had then to see it as a comfy bed, my friend could see the ensuing chaos from her window and we had laughed about it every Christmas since.

The second being the little figure lying in your 'snow' making a 'snow angel'.. with the 2 cyclists seemingly heading towards him ( I know I have a weird sense of humour!). :-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Dec 2023 15:50

Thank you all for your ideas, I did tidy the under the stairs space, just putting things where they should be, shoes on shoe racks etc did the trick and I didn't need to throw anything away. :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Dec 2023 16:17

Glad you found something to help ZZzz

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Dec 2023 16:40

Rose, glad you shared my sense of humour with the snow angel and bikes. And also that the cottages spiked a good memory for you.

Zzzzzzz pleased you found something to act as a distraction.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Dec 2023 15:22

When i have a down can’t be bothered day and feel orf i decide it’s a dressing gown day and don’t shower or dress and spend my time wandering around the internet and tv

It’s a wallow day but down day and usually the next day am ok and up and going again