General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deleting a copy of an ancestor on my family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Dec 2023 18:11

I have accidentally made a copy of one of my ancestors on my family tree and I would now like to delete it but I am unable to do so, Any suggestions?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Dec 2023 09:02

Welcome to the boards.

Oh dear. No one seems to know the answer.

I think sometimes it won’t work if the name needing deleting has family members attached.

This should not really be your only copy of your tree. It is always a good idea to keep a master copy off line, then you could have uploaded it to take the place of the copy you are having problems with.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 8 Dec 2023 10:45

If you have too many ancestors attached to be able to delete, I have seen trees with the name changed to 'ignore this'.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Dec 2023 17:48

If you mean that the person's record on your tree says "copy", then you'll need to email
support @genesreunited.co.uk.

They'll take a few days to reply.

I had that problem a few years ago, and they removed the "copy" record for me.