General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Summer Holidays.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Dec 2023 15:43

Anyone booked theirs yet?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Dec 2023 15:45

I booked mine on Christmas Day :-D :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Dec 2023 16:09

Show off lol. Where are you going?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Dec 2023 16:12

Northumberland as it is quite a while since we have been up there. :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 27 Dec 2023 21:16

i’m jealous LaG. We love Northumberland but also haven’t been for a while. Trouble is we’re getting older so driving long distances is now more of a problem.

Booking early at least gives you something to look forward to in the gloomy months of the year.We don’t usually even start thinking about holidays till April time and often go in June but always manage to get something suitable.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Dec 2023 21:25

I'm jealous too SuffolkVera, some of my ancestors are from there and I would be digging them up, not literally though. lol.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Dec 2023 21:32

We are older too Vera but we both drive and share the journey and also take a few breaks on route so it is not too bad.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Dec 2023 21:49

My hubby has never liked it if someone else drives whoever it is, where ever they are, if I go anywhere on my own it is by bus and train. :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Dec 2023 22:23

OH doesn't like being the passenger but gives in if it is a long journey :-D :-D :-D I drive myself about around here as the bus service is awful and we are about 2 miles from the nearest train station.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Dec 2023 22:41

There are a lot of places I would to visit where my ancestors lived to see the lanes / roads still exist and get photos.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 27 Dec 2023 22:48

Like you LaG our bus service is pretty dire. Our station is about 1.5 miles away but there is only a little train that runs up and down a single track and stops at a couple of villages before getting us to a main line station 25 minutes later. We can get into London from there but it takes so much more time to go south to London first when we want to go north. We do both drive but I have been attending hospital for an eye problem for the last 15 months and now only drive short distances in daylight. OH is fine but at 86 doesn’t want to do more than a 2-3 hour drive. If we want to go a longer distance we have an overnight stop half way which all adds to the cost. Oh, the joys of getting older!

We’ll just have to have a different type of holiday now and be glad we can still manage to get away.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Dec 2023 23:03

We are lucky here, the bus ride is 20 minutes to the station, I have a bus pass so thats good and I think I can use that within different towns but not to them.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Dec 2023 23:03

:-D :-D :-D The joys indeed Vera. Ours are generally just aches and pains of old age so we make the most of driving while we still can.
Our station is a main line one but not all trains stop at it. I can be in London in about half an hour but I am not inclined to go there very much as for me it has changed and not for the better. I moved out of there in 1970 and never looked back :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Dec 2023 17:42

I have a holiday booked travelling from daughter’s as we did this year. To Northumberland somewhere in May. Train service from Gloucester is not that good and I don’t fancy going on holiday on my own so I rely on going with daughter

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 29 Dec 2023 18:26

I ok traveling on my own, I've done it many times either to meet old friends or relatives I haven't met before. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Dec 2023 21:55

Sister booked our holiday for this June - last July!

My brother and sister-in-law (C) have spent years going to the same house in Porlock, with sister-in-laws relations meeting there.

In 2022, C suggested sister and I joined them in 2023, so we booked a place just down the hill from them, and our other brother, who lives in Somerset, joined us.
We're doing the same in 2024!

We weren't looking for ancestors, but, on the way back from Porlock (we go the pretty way), I noticed a sign for a village called 'Buckland Dinham'.
We have Dinhas (originally De Dinan) in our tree.
I jokingly said 'I bet that belonged to our family once upon a time'.
'Oh yea' was my sister's reply.

Well, on doing some research - it DID belong to our Dinhams - I'm going back a few hundred years!
I'm hoping we can make a small detour around Frome this year and look around Buckland Dinham - well, at least the main street, and maybe find a pub for lunch.
I am the 'let's not follow the sat nav for this bit' - we avioid motorways - navigator!
:-D