General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FIREWORKS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 1 Jan 2024 00:25

Please be honest if you disagree with me I have just been watching the fireworks in London at the London eye while it lovely I can’t help thinking what a lot of money gone up in smoke when we have got high bills food banks rail strikes need I go on. I’ve said my peace all I’ll say is happy new year to everyone

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 1 Jan 2024 01:16

dont worry it probably came from the khan slush fund

ie ULEZ trap

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Jan 2024 01:55

Loads went off here tonight - nothing to do with ULEZ :-D
Me, not being in London.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 1 Jan 2024 07:01

I'm sure all the fireworks that went off here in London couldn't have helped air pollution, a bit two faced :-0.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 1 Jan 2024 09:55

I don't really like fireworks, can't cope with the bangs, so I've always thought that fireworks in volume are a waste of money. And although we watched them on TV last night, I was bored before the end.

Linda

Linda Report 1 Jan 2024 09:55

I was just thinking of all those families that were finding hard to pay the bills and having to go to food banks but it’s happening all over the world we are not on our own

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jan 2024 10:53

I did wonder how many of the fireworks in London were proper fireworks and how many were laser type electronic graphics. ( a light show type).

We looked out over the town where I am staying and the fireworks seemed much brighter and defined.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 1 Jan 2024 11:48

I too watched the London fireworks, we can see them from our bedroom window. We both made the comment about the cost, how it could have been spent on food and getting people off the streets. :-0

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 1 Jan 2024 12:14

I watched it this morning on YouTube as I was preoccupied with Ralphie :-0 <3

I too thought it did go on rather too long at the end of the day once you've seen one firework you've seen them all. I did like the Spice Girls bit and the drones too. I was reading an article about the drones and it said you had to have fireworks as that gives them time to get the drones in place for their next sequence :-)

I agree the money could have been better spent but I suppose as midnight comes to each major city around the world there is a firework display so I suppose it is expected :-) Shame really because there are causes in each country that could do with extra money :-0

I have to say that when Big Ben makes that first dong I find it rather emotional :-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Jan 2024 12:35

Am I just getting old or are fireworks getting so much louder these days? Here it's not legal to do your own fireworks for New Years only go to organized displays but of course that didn't stop anyone! I wouldn't mind but they started at 7 as I was walking the dog who hates them, I was expecting them at Midnight!

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 1 Jan 2024 16:19

I agree with you
All that money up in smoke when the world is in turmoil .
:-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Jan 2024 16:23

I thought the local fireworks were quite subdued, until daughter arrived. She lives the other end of the village and said they were long and long at that end. My son, who lives in a nearby town, said it was horrendous around his area.