General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Journalists need an English dictionary

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Jan 2024 11:24

. I’m getting fed up with the badly written articles.

If you have been ignored, forgotten, left out, omitted, removed, you have all been ‘snubbed’.

‘Gotten’ is American it is not used in the English English language.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 2 Jan 2024 11:48

Not only a dictionary but a book on correct punctuation! Journalists and editors don’t seem to realise that punctuation can change the meaning of a sentence.

Btw, gotten is not an Americanism. It’s an old English word but, as language changes all the time, we seldom use it now. There’s a theory that Americans speak the purest form of English. I won’t comment on that ;-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Jan 2024 11:57

Maybe we could add in a thesaurus.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Jan 2024 13:06

I responded to a 'Daily Mirror' article that had used 'AI' to expand the online article - they'd asked for feedback.
I pointed out how repetative it was, and how the headline didn't make sense.

They responded by saying the headlines weren't 'AI'.
I replied by asking if they wanted a proof reader, as at least 3 of their headlines didn't make sense, or had a spelling mistake!

For some reason, they didn't reply!
:-D :-D :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Jan 2024 15:07

As far as I can tell, editors no longer edit! They seem to rely on spelling and grammar checkers, which are often set to American English instead of British English.

Scots still use quite a lot of expressions that are marked "obsolete" in the OED. I found them quite strange when we first moved here, but now I don't notice any more, although I don't use them myself. A couple of examples are "outwith" and "uplift" and, where English folk ask how old you are, Scots say "what age are you?"

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Jan 2024 15:14

Andy's mum, they also ask up here "where do you stay" as opposed to where do you live? Taken me years to get use to many sayings I never heard of.

They call groceries, "The messages." That confused me loads!!

I use the word Apparently but here they say "seemingly." I have never used that word before.

As for "gotten." That sounds like someone being lazy with language and bad grammar. Like someone saying I aint gotten it instead of I have forgotten it if that makes sense.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Jan 2024 15:27

Florence, almost the first question I was asked when I started in my new office was "where do you stay?" and I said I wasn't staying anywhere as we had bought a house!!! That caused a bit of confusion and a good laugh.

I have got used to "messages" and also, very common round here, is "poke" for paper bag and "piece" for a sandwich, usually a packed lunch. ("Poke" of course is the origin of the expression "a pig in a poke").

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Jan 2024 15:41

Yes the word "piece" confused me. At school we called it a snack, kids here call it their "play piece." Not heard of a Poke before.

Also an expression I think is not correct is "amn't I". meaning Am I not. I think that's awful saying that or is it just me?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Jan 2024 16:10

That's one I haven't heard before.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Jan 2024 14:44

Crikey! You're taking me back to my youth!
We moved from Malta to Lossiemouth just before I started school.
I had to learn the local 'lingo' pretty quick, to fit in. :-(

I still use 'outwith', and a few other Scottish expressions, but then I also use Cornish, Devon and Hampshire ones, too.
Ingrained due to 'survival mode' kicking in, every time I changed schools.

Tawny

Tawny Report 3 Jan 2024 17:53

My cousin served pokes of chips when she turned 40 back in 2016. Another word used is drouth usually in a pub setting and it means thirsty. Mr Owls grandmother confused people after moving to Windsor though and saying she was going for messages.