General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's probably an age thing.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Jan 2024 19:16

But my fingernails are even worse now, they crack and split and are very soft, is there anything at all that can strengthen them please, prefer tablet form rather than paint on. Thank you.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Jan 2024 20:03

If you google zzzzz several sites come up Holland and Barrett gives quite a lot of advice on things to take to strengthen and things not to do around the house to protect them.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Jan 2024 20:24

My right thumb fingernail has a groove in it that constantly splits

It’s annoying as it goes down to live tissue

Was told by doctors it’s an age thing !

I try to keep it from splitting by putting nail oli on it and clear nail varnish to bind it together

It works to a certain extent but will still split from time to tijme
It shiwss a line on the nail down ti the bed

Kuros

Kuros Report 21 Jan 2024 16:40

I also had this problem as well as my hair falling out. It was a folic acid deficiency which is related to B12. After a course of tablets the levels were back to normal.

Annie

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Jan 2024 18:41

Kuros, were you told by your GP that that was the problem and did he/she prescribe the tablets?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Jan 2024 22:14

You seem to have had this problem for a long time - as already mentioned in your thread last February.

Have you asked your GP about it?

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1401308

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 24 Jan 2024 09:06

I don't know if its true or not but I was told by someone years ago that if you eat one square from a jelly each day that helps your nails get stronger. Mine used to split or chip but in my older age they are so hard now I have a job to cut my fingernails on my right hand and have to use good stong clippers and then a file.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Jan 2024 10:15

Mel my grandmother used to say that, eat a cube of jelly everyday to strengthen your nails.

Kuros

Kuros Report 24 Jan 2024 17:23

ZZzzz sorry to be so late replying. Yes, the GP did a lot of tests, including an ECG, thyroid tests and other blood tests. She said the symptoms can be the same as for thyroid problems. She prescribed the tablets. Treatment is usually for four months. The deficiency can be caused by proton pump inhibitors and I'd been taking Lansoprosole for a good few years for a hiatus hernia. After treatment the levels returned to normal.

Annie