General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Jan 2024 11:47

can you still order birth certificates ?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Jan 2024 11:55

Welcome to the boards, Margaret.

Which country are you talking about?

If England or Wales, order from GRO:
https://www.gro.gov.uk

If Scotland, order from Scotland's People:
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

However, if it's relatively recent, you may have to order from the registrar of the area in which the birth was registered.
I know that's the case in Scotland at present, where many registrars have a backlog of certificate images not yet sent to SP - in some cases about 3 years' worth, but it varies from place to place. In those cases, there is no link on SP to "Order certificate".

If some other country, please tell us which one.

ADDED:
Scotlands People website will be unavailable today, between16:30 and 17:30 GMT, while they carry out maintenance.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jan 2024 16:14

You can also order a downloadable pdf copy of a birth or death certificate for £7

Plus a digital download for just the body of the cert for £2.50 which is handy if you are just checking details and don’t need a full certified cert

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Jan 2024 16:27

Shirley's post refers to the GRO site, for certificates of births registered in England and Wales.