General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Very rude manners

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 26 Jan 2024 16:11

Dear All

Hello

Hope you are all well.

Now how about this article:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1859961/chris-kamara-london-underground-gesture

The former professional footballer Chris Kamara offers his seat on the underground to a mature person.

He gets his a very rude response.

Now, i would suggest this "lady" is not one at all. Ill-mannered to say the least.

If a gentleman offers you a seat you can graciously accept or decline politely.
There is no excuse for bad manners and incivility.

Please feel free to comment! :-D

Take gentle care
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 26 Jan 2024 16:42

Nice to see you Elizabeth, I hope you are well. <3

There is no excuse at all for bad manners no matter what the age the person. I was always bought up to my Dad's saying Manners don't cost anything

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Jan 2024 16:45

Lovely to see you posting Elizabeth. :-)

How very rude of her.

I would have been pleased to be offered a seat, and if I felt I didn't need it decline with thanks. I have always offered a seat to people older than myself, or those who looked like they needed it, carrying a child etc, it's only the last few years that I have accepted that I am probably the one who really needs the seat!

I hold doors open for everyone and anyone also. It's just good manners.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Jan 2024 17:08

Hallo Elizabeth good to see you. What a very rude person. She is no lady!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 26 Jan 2024 18:08

Our school moto was curtisie costs nothing.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 26 Jan 2024 18:48

My Dad, many years ago, was friendly with an older man who was very 'old school', very smartly dressed, polite and courteous to a fault. He offered his seat to a woman on the bus, she plonked herself in it without a word.

'I beg your pardon', he asked.

'I didn't say anything', she replied.

'I'm so sorry madam, I thought you said thank you'.

He doffed his hat and left her to it, such an elegant rebuff :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Jan 2024 18:54

Hello Elizabeth, lovely to see you posting.

Well.....what a rude and ungrateful woman she was. All she had to say was" thankyou, that's very kind of you to offer, but i'm ok ." I too was brought up with good manners and i have like others offered a seat years ago to people older than me or a young mother carrying a child.

Civility costs nothing.

What is wrong with society these days?

We need to go back to basics from starting school and learning good manners which should be top of the subjects!

Florence in the hebrides

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 26 Jan 2024 19:48

Well something similar happened to us a couple of years ago.

My OH who is good mannered, he walks on the outside of the pavement, and sits on the outside seat when we are on the bus.

He always in the queue for a bus, stands back and lets all the ladies on the bus first, generally they say 'thank you'

However one day, a young lady was standing in the queue and my husband motioned her, with a nod, and 'after you' to get on the bus. She refused, but he said 'no, please do'. She got on the bus, and tapped in her Oyster card.

With that, she turned back to OH and snarled at him 'chauvinistic pig'.!!!! :-0 :-0

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Jan 2024 20:29

MTG...oh my your poor hubby! :-(

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 26 Jan 2024 21:12

Dear All

Thank you very much for your kind replies and
the warm welcome back. <3

As a confirmed grumpy mature person, I am very happy when
I am offered a seat.

Take gentle care all
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Jan 2024 22:33

Gosh - who would have thought 'Thank you', or 'No thank you' was so difficult to say?

Some people need to look further than their own noses!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jan 2024 23:32

What a rude person!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 27 Jan 2024 11:54

I think part of the problem these days is that women are now supposed to be equal to men and therefore should not get priority for bus seats etc.

OH has stopped offering seats to anyone, even me, as he is a lot safer sitting down! We both hold doors open for anyone and most people say thank you. He has also stopped walking on the outside of the pavement as he is likely to fall off into the gutter, but he always used to - although we frequently ended up with him ahead because he takes longer steps than I do. :-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Jan 2024 13:34

If I hold a door open for someone and they don't thank me I always say' Thank you would have been nice'. Like wise in the summer (car windows open ) if I stop at a crossing and don't get acknowledged I say the same. It is no effort to nod,smile or raise a hand does it

Kuros

Kuros Report 27 Jan 2024 13:36

I had a surprise when an elderly gentleman offered me his seat on the New York subway. It's not what I'd heard about people there but we found courtesy and politeness wherever we went there. I accepted the seat and thanked him with a smile!

Annie

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 27 Jan 2024 15:01

I love it when people just swan throught the door that I have held for them.

Gives me the chance to say 'How much an hour to do you think I get paid to be the doorman?' :-| :-| :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Jan 2024 15:03

:-D :-D :-D :-D @ MG