General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pulling up my big girl *****

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 26 Feb 2024 21:52

Tomorrow as I have to deal with an awful “child” at work. He is 18 and a work colleague and for the purpose of this I’ll call him John. Also involved were two other work colleagues who I will call Ann and William. William and John were closing our department one night last week. Seeing how busy our department was getting just before closing William asked Ann if she would mind helping out. Ann has previously worked in our department and so knew what to do. Our department has seven different counters four of which we are responsible for in the run up to closing. William was serving at one counter while John had his back to the counters so Ann stepped in to serve a customer waiting at one of the other counters. John immediately turned round on sensing Ann behind him, tried to elbow Ann out the way and started saying “I’ve got it I’ve got it” whilst raising his voice. Ann said “ Sorry William I’m not helping now” and walked away.

It is just John and myself opening up the department tomorrow and if last week is anything to go by I’m not looking forward to it. I know I have to just pull up my big girl pants and get on with it. If he so much as tries to lay a hand on me though I will be making a formal complaint.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Feb 2024 08:00

Good luck Tawney. Although I am not sure what your actual complaint is. Is it just 'John' being over officious and putting himself in charge? Are you his 'senior' in the hierarchy? Or is it a more serious 'abuse' concern? And what is 'Ann's' problem?
Be careful!

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Feb 2024 11:15

My complaint was John elbowing more senior staff out the way. Ann just walked away rather than confronting John. I’m being polite but keeping talk work related and not interfering in what John is doing.

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Feb 2024 11:23

To be fair, unless Ann was physically elbowed i'd let it slide, as you describe Ann as 'senior' John may have felt he was being 'over-ridden' or felt that Ann might think he was being negligent in not seeing there was a customer waiting? Retail heirarchy can be a tough thing to handle well sometimes. :-)

Island

Island Report 27 Feb 2024 12:07

As you have stated - don't interfere with what John is doing, let him do his job and you get on with yours. Why are you anticipating 'If he so much as tries to lay a hand on me'. Are you trying to exercise some seniority as he is younger than you?

I'm so glad I freelanced and didn't have a petty pecking order to deal with.

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Feb 2024 13:29

No I’m not going for seniority just not getting my head bitten off for standing in front of the freezer when he needs the fridge next to it.

Island

Island Report 28 Feb 2024 14:17

:-S ???