General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just had a lovely visit

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2024 11:46

Our youngest sister and her hubby and young daughter emigrated to Canada in 1977

They settled in abbotsford British Columbia and made their life there

Been back to the uk on visits on several occasions but the last time we saw Lisa their daughter was in 2001 when myself and hubby and another sister and one of her sons went for a two week holiday and 9/11 happened when we there

Sadly in 2017 her hubby died from cancer

So I “talk” to sis every Sunday on messenger and in dec she said Lisa and I are coming over in feb to see you and sister Brenda

Sadly Brenda is struggling too with health problems and currently hospitalised in Queen Elizabeth hospital woolwich with pneumonia,
She was bed bound anyway at home after a fall and been hospitalised for over 10 weeks

The worry was if Brenda would still be here tbh

As my sister said I need to see you both just in case !

So they did see Brenda is hospital for 3 plus hours that has perked her up tremendously,

Then came to me last wed afternoon and stayed to Friday morning and off to see a cousin then on to long term friends till Saturday evening

As soon as family knew they were coming over it was we want to see you too so they have had a hectic schedule,

Finally managed to stay in London near the Tower of London since Saturday,

Niece Lisa wanted to do so shopping and visits like going to Harrods etc as she has very little memory of London

Today they fly back to Vancouver

It was absolutely lovely to have huge hugs and chats xx

Florence61

Florence61 Report 28 Feb 2024 11:58

Wow Shirley, what a wonderful surprise :-D

How absolutely lovely they were able to spend some time with you and and your poorly sister.

But amazing how a visit like this perks us up mentally.

Hope you took lots of pics :-D

Florence in the hebrides

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 28 Feb 2024 12:05

How lovely for you and your sister and niece to get together . It is not the same over messages but better than the old snail mail.
We have family in New Zealand and they came over last year it was so lovely to see them again.

I hope your sister is feeling better as well and she recovers from the pneumonia .

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2024 12:08

We have some great pictures

Some too of our sister in hospital who is really very poorly

Out of 8 children born ,sadly first baby died aged 3 months in 1931 , 7 children reared 4 girls three boys there’s just us three girls still here

Me born 1937 , Brenda born 1939 and baby of the family Lynne born 1949 .

Understandably with Brenda so poorly and my prognosis Lynne was I need to see you!!

It’s a shame genes doesn’t have the facility to add pictures to posts

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2024 12:15

Sister in hospital has been transferred to a geriatric ward with a do not resuscitate note

So it’s especially difficult for us all

Am so glad our baby sister did get to see her

As they went into the ward a nurse said are you the family from Canada as she is exited to see you ,talks of nothing else than my baby sister is coming to see me

It’s very sad actually especially as I live in Kent but can’t get up to visit as my mobility isn’t good

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 28 Feb 2024 12:34

That is sad for you both that you can't visit .

<3

Von

Von Report 28 Feb 2024 13:12

Shirley how lovely to see your sister and niece and that were able to visit your sister. <3
Thinking of you all <3

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 28 Feb 2024 19:36

Shirley <3 <3