General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

so.... if you won the lottery big prize

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Mar 2024 12:42

Would you fancy this?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-13094545/private-jet-world-tour-Abercrombie-Kent.html

Island

Island Report 1 Mar 2024 12:50

Only if it's warm and I don't have to eat fish eggs

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Mar 2024 13:19

No, it's not really 'me'. I don't drink, and the food would be wasted on me, no fish eggs or meat thanks. Though having a doctor on board would be a plus. I could never bring myself to spend that sort of money, even if I had it, on anything other than a house ( or a wood :-) )

I always remember the woman who battled quite aggressively with cabin crew on the connecting flight from Baltimore to LA ( mum's competition win in the 1980s) because they refused to allow a standard lamp as hand luggage. She might get away with it on ths flight :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Mar 2024 13:20

I should think you could pass that. Imagine having that much money to spend on a holiday.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Mar 2024 13:34

No.
However, if enough members of my extended family wanted to fly around the world visiting places, I would hire an 'ordinary' private plane, or largish boat.

That much ostentation is too much. It's bordering on tacky.

A much more useful spend of too much money would be to buy every family member a house, or pay off their mortgages.
If my win was 'only' £139,000, I'd pay for family members to go to Uni - one grandson definitely wants to become a lawyer - , or as in my daughter's case, pay for her midwifery training, and my grand daughter's paramedic training.
At least the money would, in some part, go towards contributing to society.

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Mar 2024 13:44

Ann, D has said this week that I should have a 'proper' holiday to make up for ones I've not been able to afford. I might try and do so, but it will be just a few more days in somewhere accessible in the UK, maybe somewhere I used to live or somewhere I've never been?

Maggie I hope you do win, seems like you have some family who would benefit and so would everyone else if they can achieve their goals :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Mar 2024 13:57

I think I’ll just wait for the cheque to drop on the mat before I make up my mind. ;-) :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Mar 2024 14:24

If I won a large amount of money, like Maggie, i would buy some family members things they need, a car, University fees or a house depending on the win or pay off mortgages. I would def donate to some charities.

I have never had a proper holiday away other than family holiday when i was young. i would like to travel to as many counties as I could whilst i still can but not the USA maybe India, the Pyramids in Egypt. Island hop, i love islands.

Like you Rose, I don't drink and I don't eat meat, eggs, butter, cream etc so these luxury holidays with food included would be also wasted on me.

But I shall carry on dreaming about the win until the win may come.

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Mar 2024 14:28

Daughter already works in the NHS as a breasfeeding Counsellor.
She also goes around to check on babies when they arrive home, and gives them inocculations. Three people used to do these jobs - now it's down to one!
However she would really like to be a midwife, but with 2 teenagers at home, can't afford the fees.

Eldest grand daughter has just moved to Wales.
Her boyfriend did his paramedic training there as it's free.
He now has a degree in paramedic science. Grand daughter helped him out financially - but he has to work in Wales for 5 years to 'pay back' his training, which is fair enough.
Hopefully, now they're settling in Wales, grand daughter will do her degree.

As for the grandson - for his job experience week, an aunt, on his dad's side is a lawyer, and invited him to attend a case she was dealing with.
It was something to do with child neglect. He loved it - the parent (s) got their just deserts! He detests unfairness.

This is the same boy who, a few years earlier, on seeing another boy being constantly picked on, told the teacher and asked if he could beat the bully up on behalf of the boy!
When the position of head boy at school came up he applied - but forgot to go to the interview. The Head made him 'head prefect' instead. :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Mar 2024 15:26

You do realise this was meant to be tongue in cheek, I never for one moment thought anyone would say yes to the question. Oh and by the way I am sure that whatever diet you follow even strict vegan, they would come up with something tasty for you to eat. I was more focused on the holiday and all the places they were visiting. all those wild life safaris.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Mar 2024 16:08

If someone else won the lottery and offered to take me on that trip, I'd go like a shot even if all that flying ruined my green credentials :-D

If I won the money myself I guess I'd do as others have said - help family and a few charities.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Mar 2024 17:50

:-( Vera good thinking. Ok I will remember if zi win, you shall have a place. Which of course be difficult as I don’t do the lottery since T died.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 1 Mar 2024 18:41

Nobody said what the loos were like - and it's not 'luxury' unless you can can have a soak in a sumptuous bath...

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Mar 2024 11:08

So true, Sheila!
I mean, do they provide toothpaste and toothbrushes, shampo etc - or do you have to take your own - and how many loos are there?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Mar 2024 13:30

3. His, hers and theirs :-D

Island

Island Report 2 Mar 2024 14:45

4. His, hers, theirs and mine :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Mar 2024 16:52

Don't forget a litter tray for those identifying as a cat :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Mar 2024 18:11

:-D :-D :-D :-D