General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sometimes.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Mar 2024 17:38

I just want to be on my own and today is one of them so I have left the curtains closed and not answered the front door, that in turn caused one person in the street to call and see if I am ok, which I am, so sometimes it pays to have nosy neighbours, of which I am one. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Mar 2024 22:31

I wouldn't say me and my immediate neighbours are nosy- but we are aware of each other.
On one side (terraced bungalows), brother and sister G and T live. They're not retired, and have to get up early for work. T hasn't got the best hearing, so sometimes, I can hear her on the phone. She also has a squad of indoor cats,and I sometimes hear her calling them, or G tellling them off!

On the other side lives P. P is 79. P is rarely in, on a Tuesday, as she goes to dinner at her sons.
She also, sometimes doesn't go to bed until 3am, and can be heard (if I am in the kitchen) putting her dishes away at midnight! This also means she sometimes sleeps in until midday.
If I hear P stacking her dishes - I know she's okay.

However, these contrasts, either side of me, in waking up times, means if I want to do anything noisy - like drilling, or mowing the lawn - I tend to do it at lunchtime.
THAT's when they know I'm in! :-D

However, both sets of neighbours have commented/complained about how quiet I am :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Mar 2024 22:44

We only have neighbours at one side that can maybe hear us, but have never we are loud so can only assume we are not. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Mar 2024 02:51

I try to make sure that the curtains are open and the outside light turned off no later than 8:30 am, even if I then go back to bed or hibernate in a room at the back of the house. I started doing that thinking that maybe, just maybe, any neighbour might notice if the light was still on and curtains closed late in the day.

Sure enough, about 2 months ago, a neighbour asked if we were OK .......... after years of doing it!

We're the end house so have no houses on one side, but the neighbours on the other side are younger and have 4 children including twin boys who are now about 8 or 9 years old. We hear very few sounds from inside their house, but the boys are noisy when playing in the garden. It doesn't last past about 8 pm so no problem!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Mar 2024 13:32

I have new neighbours that moved in about six months ago

The day they moved in the hubby knocked on my door and was sorry we moved today and have activated the lock on the patio doors and no key!
He introduced himself and we are same surname but no connection!
I was able to lend my patio door key so they could unlock

Seem them come and go cos our houses are 1960,s builds with kitchen at the front

So a few weeks ago the bell went and it was the lady of the house introducing herself and saying we are here if you need anything like shopping etc

Even gave me phone nos just in case

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Mar 2024 13:35

A bit a worry surely that one key will unlock next door.

When we moved into a tied house we were told that the same front door key opened the other two. We quickly changed the lock.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Mar 2024 15:22

ooh Shirley, is that right that your key also opens their patio???

Surely that cant be right from a security point?