General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The POW

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Mar 2024 18:37

Wow. That was a shock. How cool and calmly Catherine sat there explaining. Hope all goes well with her treatment.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Mar 2024 18:59

She was very calm, wasn't she?
I hope all goes well for her.

I also just hope this is now the end to those unmentionable, self-important 'media' morons carping on and on with their speculative drivel.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 22 Mar 2024 19:17

Unfortunately I don't think the media will stop pestering the poor woman :-| :-| :-|. . I hope she makes a full recovery bless her

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 22 Mar 2024 19:26

Dear All

Hello

Just saw this a main headline

Prince William must be very anguished as both his father, the King and now his
lovely wife Catherine have cancer.

Terrible news.

My heart goes out to them.

On a more positive note, there are now more treatments and therapies being developed and used all the time to fight against this hideous disease.

Also, it is at times like this, that make you want to hug your family and tell them how much love them.

Let us hope and pray.

Take gentle care
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Mar 2024 19:38

I have been fuming at the nonsense being written in the media. I hope those people, some of whom should certainly know better, hang their heads in shame.

But I doubt it.

I can't even find words to say how disgusted I am by the bullying and outright cruelty. What have we come to as a species.

I hope both the Princess and the King make full recoveries.

Foggy

Foggy Report 22 Mar 2024 19:42

Unfortunatly, the papers will see it as a money spinner.
All the goons who revel in something like others misfortune will rush to buy the papers.
Sad really.

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 Mar 2024 21:00

So sad that she's had to make a video message to prove she's alive! Trying to shield their children from as much media as possible makes sense. She's very young and as far as we know healthy prior to this discovery and I wish her well.

Annx

Annx Report 22 Mar 2024 21:50

I agree and can't imagine coping with the shock, having to explain to three young children and with all the speculation that's been going on. I hope all goes well for her and King Charles with their treatment. Also best wishes to Fergie who recently had a second cancer diagnosis and surgery.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Mar 2024 22:45

It must have been a real shock after being told whatever the problem was that, however, it is non-cancerous.

The horrid remarks made by so many know-it-alls must have been very hard to bear.

Having survived 2 breast cancers, but luckily not having needed chemo or radiation, and OH having had colon cancer but again no further treatment, we are both examples that people can have cancer, but it can be beat and the patient can go on to lead a normal life. I have to admit that it was hard to explain to a 21 year old that I had cancer but that I was going to be OK, it was particularly hard because she had chicken pox (!!) and I wasn't allowed to be with her "just in case". OH had to do all the main explaining and comforting. But I can't imagine how hard it would be to explain to small children in language that they could understand.

Unfortunately, she is going to have chemo that sounds as though she will lose her hair. Imagine what some people are going to say about that!!

I did see a piece in the MailOnLine that she was donating her hair to a children's charity to make wigs for children undergoing treatment. What a lovely thing to do!!

Best wishes to her and King Charles, and to Fergie!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Mar 2024 07:48

Sylvia, yes that was my thought about her beautiful hair. that will be hard for her as she is a young woman, proud of her appearance. but she does seem to be mentally strong and my thinking is that she will make herself 'an example' both to her children and to others living with cancer. Yes a lovely gesture to donate her hair.

I have a friend who has just finished chemo and it is very wearing, very tiring. And I hope she doesn't lose any more weight, she did look very slim and tired in the video.
Bless her I wish her the strength to get through the treatment. Luckily she will get the best treatment available.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 23 Mar 2024 10:04

Not all Chemo treatment do you loose your hair, hopefully as the treatment is preventative this may not be the case for Kate. <3

However, I suppose it is a small price to pay if she does but it saves her life <3

I thought her video message was very brave as it is very difficult to tell your family let alone The World :-(

Kate did look pale and frail in comparison to her usual self and I noticed that her voice almost wobbled on a couple of occasions <3. I do hope that she and her family are now left alone for her to complete her treatment in peace<3

For those that chose to be so cruel I hope they crawl back under their stones :-|

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Mar 2024 22:50

LB

I did make a point about being very open about my first breast cancer diagnosis, and what was happening, and I had several reasons for it.

It was 1995, and deaths from AIDS were still high over here. We had 2 or 3 cases at least among my co-workers .... a lot as there were only about 30 people in total. My supervisor was the only one who had been open about his diagnosis and no-one had made any comment except that we all mutually decided that we would stay home whenever we caught colds so as not to make matters worse for him. We did have a good sick leave policy. But then the others afflicted with that horrible disease had tried to keep it quiet, and there were all kinds of mutterings after a certain period of time.

I didn't want that kind of muttering about me!

Second was the fact that my cancer was only found by having a mammogram, and it was large although luckily it had not spread beyond the ducts. I wanted to make everyone aware that having regular mammograms was the only thing that saved my life, and that every woman needed to keep having them. So I made no bones about it, whether that was telling my male neighbour when he asked how I was doing ..... simple question, he got an unexpected answer!! .... or the lady working in the local pharmacy who had often talked to me.

Being open was also the way we treated OH's colon cancer in 2005 ............... I posted on a couple of websites, think Friends Reunited, about the need for everyone to get checked regularly for GI cancers.

I think the PoW has been very brave, and also think that she is offering support and help in her way to all the others suffering from whatever kind of cancer. In the same vein that the King was open about his benign prostate enlargement and then the cancer diagnosis found apparently accidently as a result of that.

All we can hope is that her bravery will stop all the nonsense of the naysayers!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Mar 2024 16:57

Good to see that some of the so called celebrities have apologised. But the ridiculous stories are still coming. :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Mar 2024 22:42

...but have you noticed how any 'apologies' are still all about them!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Mar 2024 23:55

maggie ...................... of course!

They're all "influencers of one sort or another, so they have to look good.

Anyone else seen a report that the latest by the b*****ds is that Kate's video is ............................ AI

They can't let her have a peaceful time!