General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just who is this aimed at??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Apr 2024 17:06

I was shopping yesterday in our local factory outlets, where there is a very good shoe shop. I found a good strong pair of slippers for OH (half the normal price) and was paying for them when I saw this notice behind the counter:-

WE WELCOME

MENOPAUSAL

CUSTOMERS

AT THIS OUTLET

I asked the cashier what it meant but she had no idea and said people commented on it all the time! :-S :-S

Any suggestions?

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 13 Apr 2024 17:26

Do they welcome non menopausal people too - surely this is discriminating against men? The world has gone mad I fear and to use a good old Yorkshire expression ' they're all mad except thee and me and I'm not too sure about thee' !

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Apr 2024 17:27

Oh my!!! Surely that's offensive isn't it? Its like its saying menopausal women are welcome but not anyone else???? :-S :-S :-S

Maybe they had a customer who was menopausal and was having a bad day etc but they were sympathetic towards her or was it aimed at the staff maybe....all inclusive?

Personally, I think it should be removed as its labelling a person.

Only my opinion though

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Apr 2024 17:33

My suggestion is Wokery that is totally stupid in a world gone mad :-|

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Apr 2024 17:47

I agree with you and my personal speculation is that someone in one of their many stores was having a bad day and got short shrift from the staff. They complained to Head Office and some idiot there, instead of having a quiet word with the employee in question, had a whole lot of notices printed!!

It's not just discriminating against men but also all those women who aren't menopausal!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Apr 2024 20:37

I am old enough to remember that we just got on with life, were polite and respectful to everyone.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Apr 2024 20:51

It sounds a bit sarcastic to me!

Maybe a customer got stroppy with a staff member, then blamed it on the menopause, either rightly or wrongly.

Whatever the reason, they should be welcoming to all customers, and not naming any particular group.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Apr 2024 00:49

Is this following on from demands that menopausal women should be able to take time off work as necessary because they're suffering so much???????

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 14 Apr 2024 01:39

All this inclusivity has gone way too far in my opinion, I think it's dangerous and offensive to people who aren't in the "I'm offended" brigade.

I think it started with Black Lives Matter, which was well intentioned but actually had the opposite effect. Now it's everywhere and covering everything imaginable.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Apr 2024 09:58

Aren't they basically saying 'Behave as badly as you like, as long as you blame a 'thing' - be it the menopause, 'wrong time of the month', autism (imagined or real) etc etc.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Apr 2024 12:10

Inclusivity should mean that different groups are never mentioned at all. Naming groups only creates division.

People are just people!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Apr 2024 16:47

Someone should complain to the store manager to ask the sign be removed!