General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 5 Nov 2004 17:23

I have gathered quite a lot of information and found the possible link, but how can I make sure it is correct? The information is: 1901 Census for my family group is, 21 Betley St, Hindley William Houghton - 35 - b. Skelmesdale - Hewer in Coal Mine Elizabeth - 35 - b. Hyde Henry - 15 - b. Farnworth - pony driver in coal mine Ernest - 13 - b. Farnworth Lily - 11 - b. Platt Bridge William - 9 - b. Platt Bridge Joseph - 7 - b. Burtonwood John - 5 - b. Burtonwood Arthur - 2 - b. 1891 England Census - living at 10 Platt Street, Hindley. Houghton, Elizabeth Age: 25 Born: Hyde, Lancashire Relation: Wife Living at: Hindley Lancashire Houghton, Ernest Age: 2 Born: Farnworth, Lancashire Relation: Son Living at: Hindley Lancashire Houghton, Harry Age: 4 Born: Farnworth, Lancashire Relation: Son Living at: Hindley Lancashire Houghton, William Age: 25 Born: Skelmersdale, Lancashire Relation: Head Living at: Hindley Lancashire Occupation: Collier. Houghton, William Age: 3.12 Born: Hindley, Lancashire Relation: Son Living at: Hindley Lancashire Stafford, Ellen Age: 15 Born: Hyde, Lancashire Relation: Boarder Living at: Hindley Lancashire Stafford, John Age: 21 Born: Hyde, Lancashire Relation: Boarder Living at: Hindley Lancashire Occupation: Collier From a certificate in 1888 I know that William Houghton and Elizabeth Stafford was married Williams father was William coal miner and Elizabeth’s father was Henry Stafford deceased joiner. Looking on the 1881 census I found a William Houghton from Sherrington, Lancashire, England born 1866 with a father called William who was a coal miner Living at 67 Brackley st Worsley. I am not convinced it is the correct William Houghton. The same with the Stafford family, I found an Elizabeth and Henry who was a joiner but born in York and live in 208 West Street not Farnworth. Elizabeth’s birth date is 2 years out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I am right how do I get the GRO for birth certificates? Regards Andrew