General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Say No to 870

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 29 Oct 2004 10:16

If you dial an 0845 or 0870 number you pay around 7p per minute and often the company receiving the call gets a cut of the cost to you. Even if you have a call-inclusive plan you still pay. The following site gives alternative "normal" numbers which will almost always cost you less: www(.)saynoto870(.)com

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 29 Oct 2004 11:13

Thanks Brian, I was wondering how the new phone suppliers made their money. I have just changed my supplier and get free national and local calls evenings and weekends and pay only 2.7 pence a minute during the day. I have been trying to work out how they can make a profit and now I know, 7 pence a minute for so-called 'local-rate' calls. I'll try the site you suggest. Thanks again, Bernie