General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stuart Morgan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Apr 2003 21:36

Monica - I think you will find that those people with thousands of names here have used the Gedcom upload therefore they already have that information stored with their family tree software. If you are seriously researching large family groups then a pontential connection could be made anywhere and so it is worth uploading the full trees. This site isn't really designed as an online family tree program, I don't believe it should be used as such however the impression I get from these boards is that some people are using it this way. Personally I don't even look at the 'Tree' view, or the old 'Relations' view. I have my own website for that purpose and I've only uploaded my data here in the hope that I'll find others researching the same families. Perhaps the Genesconnected team should consider recommending one of the good family tree software packages to the 'newbie' genealogists in a signup email - Promoting the Gedcom upload over manual insertion of data. Certainly I think its folly to spend time working on a Gedcom export option, speaking as someone who has done such a thing for my own software it's a real hassle, far harder than an import option. Keep the focus on the name 'GenesConnected' and don't get sidetracked into creating what amounts to online family tree software.