Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph Dickenson abt 1854/Book-keeper/Methodist La

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bettyespana

bettyespana Report 19 Nov 2007 21:47

Joseph Dickenson married Mary Ellen Ball 9.3.1875 @Todmorden.

The marriage was at Knowlwood Primitive Methodist,possibly one of the churches where he sometime preached.
Mary Ellen Ball was staying @ Stones Villas,Todmorden which was sometimes used by the Pr.Meth Preachers.
In 1878 they had a daughter Margaret Amelia b. 93 Barnet St,West Derby Liverpool.(My Gt Grandmother)

Joseph Dickenson died 1879 West Derby.

I am trying to find any info concerning Joseph Dickenson.Where he was born,parents,siblings.Anything which will help me further the Dickenson line in my tree.

Heather

Heather Report 19 Nov 2007 22:06

Have you found him in any cenus? Have you bought his marriage certificate - that would give his fathers name and occupation. His birth certificate would give his mothers maiden name.

How do you know his occupation - childs birth cert?

But the marriage cert is needed to follow his line backwards. Do you know definitely he married Mary? How do you know that? From a childs birth cert?

You could also google for Methodist Ministers

This is the ref you need to buy the marriage cert for £7 from GRO online:

Marriages Mar 1875 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>BALL Mary Ellen Todmorden 9a 300
DICKENAOM Joseph Todmorden 9a 300
>>>Dickenson Joseph Todmorden 9a 300
GREENWOOD Sarah Todmorden 9a 300
PRESTON James Todmorden 9a 300

Oh, but you say he died in 1879 - so this must just be a wild coincidence.

1881right name, right age, right place, right job but no sign of Mary Ellen or daughter Margaret??? I was wondering if "Ellen" was the wife but she is shown merely as daughter. Could be a mistake I guess. You have a death for 1879 - so this must just be a coincidence, but Ill leave it for reference.

Name: Joseph Dickenson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1854
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Richard
Mother's Name: Jane
Where born: Lpool, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Everton
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address: 73 Gregson St
Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: West Derby
Sub-registration district: Everton
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Ann Dickenson 20
Ellen Dickenson 29
James Dickenson 17
Jane Dickenson 54
Joseph Dickenson 27
Mary Dickenson 14
Richard Dickenson 65

If you get that marriage cert you will have some solid facts to work on with his fathers name and occupation to look for in 1871.

bettyespana

bettyespana Report 10 Jan 2008 21:45

Sorry I have not replied due to health problems.

Joseph Dickenson was deceased June qtr 1879 West Derby 8B page 368 BMD

The marriage to Mary Ellen Ball was published in The Halifax Guardian & Huddersfield & Bradford Advertiser copies of which are held in the Special Collections Dept @ Leeds University.
It is also in BMD 9A300
Joseph Dickenson was described in the announcement as a Railway Clerk of Southport.
It is on his daughter Margaret Amelia's birth cert that he is described as a book-keeper.

Mary Ellen re-married Sept 1888 to John George Broadhurst.

Regards
Betty