Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fiona Hodge

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fiona

Fiona Report 26 Apr 2004 13:33

I have Dady ancestors from Dunston, Norfolk. My Great Grandfather, John Hodge, married Susannah Dady, both were born in Southport. Susannah's father was Henry Dady. Henry was born in 1846 in Dunston, his Parents were John Dady (1814) & Sarah Hubbard... married in 1840. John's parents were Samuel (b 1780) & Elizabeth. Samuel's family is listed in 1821 in Dunstan as containing 4 males & 3 females. By 1841 Samuel is living with children Emily (1816) & William (1821) no sign of Samuel's wife, Elizabeth, at this time, but she was living with John at the time of the 1851 census, 10 years later. In 1941 John is in the town, with wife, Sarah... both are aged 25-30. There was also another brother of John called George (b 1818). John & Sarah had children: Emily (1844-1844), John (1845, d before 1851), Henry (1846), Twins Sarah & Susan (1847). Sarah had died by 1851, and John later married a Susannah, who gave him more children: Mary Ann (1848), Emily Mary Caroline (1853), Eugenia Amanda (1855), Elenor Harriet (1858), Melmoth Guy Thomas (1860... christened at 3 years). Susannah was younger than John (she was born 1842) and after John's death, she married John Carpenter Fletcher, with whom she had another daughter, Eleanor (1872, born British subject, USA). The family are in the UK by 1881. Most of John's children moved to the London area... with the exception of Henry, and possibly Mary Ann (who may be a Mary Ann Dady who married in Manchester). Henry had joined a Norwich circus and, while staying in the Southport area before 1874, took the circus horses to be shod at William Johnson's workshop. There Henry met William Johnson's daughter, Susannah (b 1847).. he stayed in Southport to marry her, and was employed as an ostler by her father (who also ran a cab business). Of John's other children I have the following: Mary Ann probably married Joseph Bayley, they had a daughter, Mary Ann (1870). Emily Mary Caroline married Thomas Skerman, no known issue. Melmouth Guy Thomas married Esther Pain, no known issue. Henry Dady & Susannah Johnson had the following children: Elizabeth A (1875, Married a Rimmer or a Sawyer)), Susannah (1876, = John Hodge), Henry (1879), Emily (1881), William (1885), Amy (1889). There are many family tales concerning the youngest, Aunty Amy. Of Samuel & Elizabeth's children, I only have further details on George. His wife was Judith Digby. Amongst his children was Ebenezer Dady (1845-1900). Ebenezer married Harriet Pointer (1847-abt 1872) in Norwich in 1866, he then married Emily Crockford (1849, East Meen, Hamp) in Westminster in 1873. His children, all by his 2nd wife, Emily and all born in London are: Emily Harriet (1876, = Henry Gaiger), Ernest William (1877), Alice Mary (1878), Catherine Sarah (1880, = Charles Norris), Arthur Ebenezer (1885, = Caroline Rathbone), Edith Grace (1889), Edward Walter (1892, = Annie), Eleanor Frances (1894, = ? Brewer), Cecil Frank (1899). I have no definite information further back for this Dady family, although I believe Samuel may be the same who married Elizabeth Rudd in Thelveton, 1805 (this is her listed birthplace in later census returns) sadly, Thelveton records are not transcribed in the IGI, so I'm unable to trace further back to find further evidence. Should anyone recognise any of the names in this message, I'd be very pleased to hear from them. Fiona Hodge