Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 17 Sep 2012 22:49

Could someone please advice me.I have already found some of my relatives, but am stuck on my youngest brother. We were all brought up in different places, so its been difficult to trace everyone. I am sure that he was adopted, but can't find any trace anywhere. His name is Johnny and thats all I have. Not sure if he was given our mums surname of Brett, or her maiden name of Smith. or even her first married name of Doerffer. The time frame of his birth is not before 1953 and up to 1959 in and around Hackney or east london etc and our mums name was Mary Ada Jane ....if someone could suggest my next move please.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Sep 2012 23:14

All you can do is to look for his birth..................under the various possible names

Whichever name his birth was registered in, the MMN will be SMITH

How sure are you of his existence?

I hope you've added yourself to the national adoption contact register...........

Susan

Susan Report 17 Sep 2012 23:22

Thanks or reply...yes sure of existence, because everything so far I was told by my foster care family has been true in every detail. haven't thought of reg with nat adoption register, will do that. I did wonder if johnny was actualy a middle name? Thanks for the help

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 18 Sep 2012 00:08

Susan,

You must have 2 or 3 other threads on this. In each case it has been suggested he could be Richard J Brett but you have not responded to this.

Rose

Susan

Susan Report 18 Sep 2012 00:56

Thanks Rose..am still new to this ..sorry, will check threads....Susan

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 18 Sep 2012 03:09

Click on MY THREADS on the left to find all your previous threads.

Rose

Penny

Penny Report 18 Sep 2012 06:45

You were also advised that, once you have established his name, that yo will need to put your name on the adoption contact register. Whatever he was called when he was born, he will have a different name now if he was adopted.

You really need to send for the birth cert of that Richard and see if a) mothers name matches and b) if it says 'adopted' on it

Susan

Susan Report 18 Sep 2012 07:58

Thanks Penny..will do that.....all the best susan