Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

looking for mackechnie

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

fiona m

fiona m Report 18 Jun 2013 04:58

Hi can anyone help me I am looking for my family on my dads side I know there are 4 brothers and 2 sister <3 :-(

Penny

Penny Report 18 Jun 2013 06:20

who what where and when please

Gai

Gai Report 18 Jun 2013 06:45

HI Fiona and welcome to the boards.

if you can give us some names and places so helpers have a starting point. A good start would be your dad's first name and year of birth and where he was born would be a great help.

Gai

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2013 10:20

In view of timing of post........is this an Aussie/NZ query?

Fiona

Please read your post as though you were one of us...........would you be able to help?

Forenames, birth years, and birthplaces are VITAL

And please also say how much research you have done yourself................to avoid duplication of effort.

Gai

Gai Report 18 Jun 2013 10:50

Hi Fiona,

If it's an Australian query well there are 383 Mackechnie's in the Australia Birth Index from 1788 to 1922.

The more information you can supply will help us.

Gai :-)

fiona m

fiona m Report 18 Jun 2013 13:06

Hi thanks for the replys my dads name is whugh ross, I was born in Stepney London 1962 , I know that my sisters are Freda and flora my brothers are frank Joe James and Ron I think . I was very young when I last seen them <3 :-S

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2013 13:15

So, who are you looking for?

Your father's children?

Was your father married to your mother?..

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2013 13:24

Yours is the only Mackechnie birth registered with your mother's maiden name.

So do you know whether your half-siblings were registered as Mackechnie..................and whether they shared one mother?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2013 13:29

The only Flora Mackechnie birth registered in England Wales was in 2002

So unless you can tell us the surname(s) for these people, it's likely to be a dead end.

Have you looked in 'search all trees' to see whether anyone has your father's details on GR?

fiona m

fiona m Report 18 Jun 2013 13:40

My mums name Hilda wright I just looking for my dad ,but it would great to find my siblings as well ,they all should be mackechnies I tried ask my mum when she was alive but she just would not help. <3 :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Jun 2013 13:47

Are your half siblings older than you Fiona?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jun 2013 13:47

If your father didn't marry the mother(s) of the other children, they are unlikely to be named Mackechnie

You have your father's birth as 1925...............were the other children born before you?

fiona m

fiona m Report 18 Jun 2013 13:55

yes they are all older then me, :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Jun 2013 13:59

have you seen this death , sadly it could match with the DOB you have given ?

Name: Hugh Mackechnie
Birth Date: 31 Mar 1924
Date of Registration: Mar 1993
Age at Death: 69
Registration District: Southampton
Inferred County: Hampshire
Register Number: B47A
District and Subdistrict: 5002B
Entry number: 247

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Jun 2013 14:06

Further to that death

Perth, Scotland Newspaper Index Cards, 1809-1990 about Hugh MacKechnie
Name: Hugh MacKechnie
Publication Date: 23 Mar 1993

Gives place of death as Southampton, so it is possible that your father and half siblings were born Scotland?

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Jun 2013 14:28

Fiona when you say you were very young when you saw them, how much older than you were they do you remember, also did you travel far to see them?

fiona m

fiona m Report 18 Jun 2013 14:37

thank you for the info my dad was from Scotland if this is my dad I feel so sad , That I will never be able 2 tell him how much I have missed him and love him :-( <3

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Jun 2013 14:40

I'm sorry if it turns out to be your father Fiona, it may though be worth you buying the death certificate in case a relative was the informant?

fiona m

fiona m Report 18 Jun 2013 15:06

We all lived together in London I think about 4 or 5 I can only remember bits :-(

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Jun 2015 12:55

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1352913