Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MURRAY & SAVAGE Families

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan

Jan Report 6 Jul 2013 00:07

Have recently found a Brother and Sister of my Grandfather Thomas MURRAY born Millwall 1888 had married and lived in Poplar with their Families.....I believe there could still be some living relatives living in London. Here is what I have on the two Families.... hoping someone is connected
My Great Grandparents are Bridget (nee WELCH) & Michael MURRAY some records show MURREY, orriginally spelt MURRY.
Children
Mary Ann born 1875
Ellen born 1878
Edmund known as Edward born 1881
Michael born 1883
Thomas born 1888

Mary Ann married Thomas SAVAGE in 1895,, children from this marriage are
Selina born 1895
Thomas born 1898
Agnes born 1901
*****I have this family on the Census up to 1911 when they were living at 159 Stebondale Street, Poplar. but that is where I loose them

Ellen born 1878 have no further information on her after the 1891 census where she is listed as Nelly

Edward birth rego has him as Edmund but Marriage Certificate has Edward.
Edward married Louisa BOWDITCH in 1906, Louisa is the dau of Thomas John BOWDITCH and Sarah Elizabeth BOWDITCH.

Edward and Louisa had the following children
Ellen 1907
Bridget 1909
Mary 1911
Michael 1913
Edward 1915
Eileen 1919
Margaret 1922
Thomas 1924

I have this Family on the census to 1911 where they were living at 6 Samuda Street Cubitt Town.. another researcher said they were still at the same address in 1929.

Michael born 1883 we have no further information after the 1891 census where like his Father he is listed as Mikiell MURREY

Thomas born 1888 joined the Navy. jumped ship in Queensland in 1912 and never returned to England.. he eventually bought his discharge from the Navy and settled in Brisbane....

Parents Bridget and Michael MURRAY both died young... and the Family was split Edward was living with Mary Ann and Thomas SAVAGE in 1901 My Grandfather was living with his Grandmother Mary WELCH and Aunt and Uncles. Johanna & Joseph WARD.. and Mary and Edward WORSLEY at 2 Oliffe Street, Poplar
Ellen ???
Michael ??....... My Grandfather always said he had a brother who drowned in the Thames at a very young age, having now found that Edward lived and married we are thinking that Michael is the one to have drowned.......

with 12 Nephews and Nieces of my Grandfather there must be some second cousins out there, my Grandfather had 9 children and 19 grandchildren and we have all had children...

If anyone is connected, we would love to swap info and find out what happened to the rest of the Family

Cheers
Jan
Brisbane Aust.

jax

jax Report 6 Jul 2013 01:59

Hi Jan

Have you tried searching the trees on here to find any connections?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jul 2013 12:17

Have you looked for info about any of them using freebmd?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jul 2013 12:23

Thomas born 1924 was/is Thomas P

Suggestion ONLY for Michael, whose birth was registered JFM1913

Death

Name: MURRAY, Michael
Registration district: Tower Hamlets
County: London
Year of registration: 1983
Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
Date of Birth:4 January 1913
Volume no: 14
Page no: 0986

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jul 2013 12:31

Louisa Bowditch is a tree other than yours on GR......try to make contact with the 'owner'

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jul 2013 12:31

I knew this all sounded familiar..............

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1318086

Jan

Jan Report 6 Jul 2013 23:07

Hi Jax and Reggie

Yes I have had a lot of help with this Family especially the BOWDITCH from yourself Reggie...but still havent found any one who has the Children in their trees.

I have contacted the people on this site with BOWDITCH, SAVAGE and MURRAY in their Family but most have Louisa as a relative to the person they are researching and dont have any further info on her past her marriage.

I did find two people who are researching a Terrence MURRAY born in 1939 to Michael MURRAY and Sarah LOWRIE ....... I believe this Michael is the one born in 1913... but so far have had no contact with the people researching this person
They may no longer be on this site.. Terrence has a sister Christina born in 1946.
If I can contact the folk researching this couple I believe we will find out what happened to the rest of my Grandfathers siblings. For this reason I thought I would try posting on a list to find living relatives..

cheers
Jan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jul 2013 23:09

Any thoughts on the death?

Jan

Jan Report 7 Jul 2013 00:54

We have been away for about 10 weeks and I thought I had ordered Louisa MURRAY's death cert.. but some how I forgot hers when I was ordering.... I have since done that. should be here shortly.... The marriage for Michael and Sarah MURRAY is also on order......

Mary Ann & Thomas SAVAGE I have found several possible burials on Deceased on line..and on this site........but not knowing where they lived after 1911 its hard to narrow it down... same with Edward MURRAY..... the death of Louisa MURRAY was in West Ham... Dedeased on line has a couple of burials in West Ham for Edward MURRAY which could be him...they are in the 1930's

The death you found in 1983 for Michael I believe is the right one....... which suggests that Family didnt move far...that may be the next one to order......

I believe Mary Ann SAVAGE was alive after the 2nd World War as my Aunty remembers letters coming from My Grandfathers Sisters during and just after the war.. then no more contact... so maybe the death I found in 1951 could be her...
If I cant narrow it down any closer I wil order that one..it was in Camberwell.

cheers
Jan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jul 2013 09:21

Is this the 'right' Mary Ann?

Births Dec 1875 (>99%)
MURRAY Mary Ann Poplar 1c 729

If so, the age at death doesn't tally

Deaths Jun 1951 (>99%)
SAVAGE Mary A 77 Camberwell 5c 235

I realise that age on a death cert is only 'as known'.........................but women usually take off years rather than add them on

Just 'thinking out loud'........................

Jan

Jan Report 7 Jul 2013 22:20

Yes thats the right Mary Ann...The reason I am leaning towards the death in 1951 being her is that a Thomas SAVAGE died in the same area in 1948, also Mary Ann's age differ's in the census... 1881 she is 5, 1891 she is 15, Then 1901 she is 24 and 1911 she is 34 age 5 & 15 would be because she was born in the latter part of the year but 24 & 34 she looses another year.......perhaps the informant didnt really know her age........... I am not sending for that particular certificate just yet....... need to find out if the SAVAGE's were in Camberwell..
I have a few unrelated certificates ...........I have found 3 dates for David WELCH >>>Mary Ann's Grandfathers death... 2, I found on the Free BDM site...one of which I sent for which was not him..... Picked the wrong one to get... so it looks as though the other one is the right one.........but on the Free BDM's it is in 1886 but now I find another burial in 1887 which is not on the BDM index which also could be him as it is in the area they were living in 1881. the one I sent for was Dec 1887 which is on the BDM list but the burial I found is for February 1887. so I am a bit reluctant to purchase the death cert in 1951 till I am a little surer....
cheers
Jan