Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Father's name in birth records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Thea

Thea Report 12 Nov 2013 23:52

Hi
I'm looking for a birth record and have found the correct one but when I view it it's a transcript and only lists the mother's maiden name - no father details. The record is from 1989. Is this normal? I thought I could see copies of the original record but can't for the life if me work out how / if this is possible.

Thanks

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 12 Nov 2013 23:57

Hello Thea.

Only the mothers maiden name can be seen on the birth record. If you send for a copy of the birth cert. the fathers name will be on that.

Sylvia

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Nov 2013 00:18

Certificates need to be ordered from the local registry office, or on line through

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

where it will cost £9.25 and include P&P.

Because it is relatively recent unless you know the actual birth date of the child you won't be able to request it.................or so I've been led to believe

Added - from the FAQ on the above link
"You will be prompted to supply further details for more recent births and deaths (within the last 50 years)"

patchem

patchem Report 13 Nov 2013 07:52

Welcome to the boards, Thea.

What country was the birth recorded in?

Thank-you

Thea

Thea Report 14 Nov 2013 19:42

Hi all and thanks very much for your replies. The birth was in the UK - Cheshire in 1989. When i view the record there is no "view the free record" box to the right (I've since seen this on other transcripts). Am I missing something / being blonde?!

patchem

patchem Report 14 Nov 2013 20:00

I do not think you can see images after about 1983.

jax

jax Report 14 Nov 2013 20:16

What are you trying to view?

You cannot view birth certs online

The image would only be of the index and will not tell you anything more than the transcription

patchem

patchem Report 14 Nov 2013 20:19

Jax,

The image will confirm that the transcription(by ancestry, fmp, or whatever) is correct, as frequently some letters are wrong.

jax

jax Report 14 Nov 2013 20:24

Yes...that's true, Is there a problem with the transcription Thea?

Edit - If the birth only shows mothers name then the father hasn't been added....unless there are two entries for the child have you checked that?

Thea

Thea Report 14 Nov 2013 20:33

Hi, no problem with the transcript as far as I am aware. It states an Oliver Cocklin was born in Chester on 1989 and his mother's maiden name is McGrail. Given I am a Cocklin and was also born in Chester I was rather hoping to find out who he gets his surname from. I can't find a marriage record between a McGrail and a Cocklin though so had hoped the original birth record would show the father's name as well as the mother's.... this obviously isn't the case though, is that right?! Short of requesting a copy of his birth cert (which I thought you needed to know both parent's names in order to request) I am at a loss as to how to find out the missing piece!

thanks again

jax

jax Report 14 Nov 2013 20:36

You would need to purchase the cert....but as it is less than 50 years old you would most probably need the full date of birth to order it

jax

jax Report 14 Nov 2013 20:40

Have you contacted peter that has this person in his tree?

Thea

Thea Report 14 Nov 2013 20:45

I have Jax, yes. No reply as yet. I've also found Oliver on facebook (not that i'm stalking the poor lad at all!!) and sent him a message. Just being a bit impatient as I know any message from someone he doesn't know will go to the "Others" folder that people never seem to get!

jax

jax Report 14 Nov 2013 20:56

I see he has a cousin on his mothers side as a friend worked out who his parents are

Ok think I have found something will pm you his mothers details

Edit and fathers :-)

Thea

Thea Report 14 Nov 2013 21:00

That's great, thanks so much!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Jan 2017 02:43

Thea and David

Would you please remove the details you have posted about this person's birth and his parents etc.?

These are living people and you are discussing their personal details behind their backs on the internet. This kind of information is not allowed to be posted here.

This is why Jax said she would send the info by private message and did not post it on the open board.

If the person googled his name, he would find this discussion. He might not be pleased.

The reason you can't find the missing piece, i.e. learn the parents' names on the birth certificate, is precisely for privacy, which is what is being violated here! :-)

Meanwhile, his name is unique. You can find him by searching here

http://www.192.com

and then take that info here

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/search/residential/search.publisha?

and hopefully find a listing; I can't because that site is playing up, or as it says, "currently experiencing technical problems".

And really, just google his name. He's on facebook and linkedin. Oops, I see you found that. Facebook has a new system where people should now see notices of messages from non-friends.

The way to get info about living people is to ask them!

omg

I just realized that only David's post is new, everything else is from 2013...

David, welcome, but please delete that info.

You can contact Thea by sending a private message -- just click on her name. If she still has the email address she registered here, she will get a notification. Otherwise, these years later, she will likely never see your message in this thread.

I'm going to report Thea's post after a bit since she is not likely to be around to edit it.

edit ... David deleted his entire post. In case Thea returns and he has not reached her, she may want his member number, 144513.