Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for 2nd cousins named YOUNG Perth Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jack

Jack Report 17 Nov 2013 01:06

Hi, does anyone know if you can access the 1960 and 1970 census for Scotland? specifically Perth Scotland.

The head of the house would be Robert Young plus 1 wife and possibly 4 to 6 children. Robert died 1995 in Perth Scotland.

Thankyou for any help.

Cheers,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

jax

jax Report 17 Nov 2013 01:13

No you cannot access any UK census after 1911

Jack

Jack Report 17 Nov 2013 05:07

Thank you for the information.

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

patchem

patchem Report 17 Nov 2013 08:36

Thank-you for making me smile, Jack.

I would love to see an English census where the head of house claimed 2 wives.

Or, thinking about it, perhaps not.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Nov 2013 10:10

Do you have an address? If so you contact the nearest large library to the address and see if they have copies of the historical ER. Only those 21 or over would be listed. The age of consent was reduced to 18 sometime during the early 1970's.
Those ER can only be searched by address, not name

Do you have the DC? Are his children named on that?
Order from Scotlandspeople.

Jack

Jack Report 17 Nov 2013 11:49

Hi DetEcTive,

Thank you for the answer. I dont have an address for these people other then they live/ lived in Perth Scotland.At least in the 1970s when my mother visited them.

I cant ask mom as she has died in 1994, and probably did not know the address as she was taken there by her brother. (Brother has died also.)

Does the telephone company have listings on line of people and addresses such as we do in 411.ca If that was available I could chase after some of the children. ( 4 girls and then 2 twin boys. If the Scottish naming pattern was used one of the girls would be Marjory and one of the boys would be James.
NB.As the children were born in the 60s and 70s they would be grown and out on their own by now. Scattered to the winds probably.

Thank you for your interest.

Cheers,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Nov 2013 13:23

The UK phone book can be found at

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/search/residential/search.publisha

BUT...it normally lists only surname and initial(s) of the bill-payer.

No use to you as you have no idea of the names of the children...........

And many people don't have landline phones...............and others are ex-directory

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Nov 2013 13:26

Some old UK phone books are on Ancestry - up to around 1984, I believe.

I don't subscribe to the site, so can't help, and in any case, not everyone was on the phone in the 60's and 70's.

You could take out a 14-day free trial.............you may get lucky

Your best hope is as suggested above - get the death cert.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Nov 2013 13:28

The closest we have is
www.thephonebook.bt.com (BT is British Telecom, the original provider of phone numbers)

There are 5 pages of Young in Perth, but it only gives the initials! Some people go ex-directory ie aren't listed in the phone book. Many of the younger generation use mobile phones for making calls and may only have a phone line for internet connection. It's usually the head of the household who's name or initial is listed, not those of the spouse or offspring.

You could also try http://www.whitepages.co.uk/

Scottish BMD are held on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/welcome.aspx which is a pay to view site. You could make a free search and try and work out if the naming pattern was used and if they married

If you were to order Robert's DC from the same site the informant might be a relative.

Stating the obvious - use the 'search all members trees' function on this site and send a message to anyone who might list the family names

(sorry Reggie - was typing while you posted)

Jack

Jack Report 17 Nov 2013 15:25

Thanks to those who answered. Some good info there.

Cheers,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

Jack

Jack Report 4 Dec 2014 22:33

I want to thank all those who have helped me to find some of my relatives ( dead or alive.) I have since found my alive cousins in Scotland (all 8 of them ) and have visited them on a trip to England to visit my wife's sisters and brothers.
Never again in southern England the road traffic is terrible, lots of lorries and busses on A roads that were designed for bicycles. And I have been there many times in the past.

Again Thanks for all the help.

Jack Steele
Ontario, canada

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Dec 2014 13:29

Thanks for the update, Jack. It must have been strange visiting cousins you either didn't know or had heard about.

Yes, our roads are becoming more crowded
Families with 2+ cars
Population growth + free movement within the EU
Lack of investment in infrustructure

Foreign visitors have difficulty grasping that our road system has evolved rather than be planned in the first place. In all likelihood many of our much used older roads where originally country lanes just wide enough for a horse and cart. There are still quite a few of those in the City of London. :-)

Jack

Jack Report 5 Dec 2014 14:15

Yes it was strange visiting newly found cousins in Scotland. All very nice people. Made my wife and I welcome.

I found one of the cousins by looking in the BT phone records, that gave me 19 people with the same name or initials. I sent 19 post cards with a short message and my e- mail address, 10 days later I had an answer and I have been communicating with several of the cousins ever since.

Again all nice people.

And AGAIN thanks to all those that helped me on this board.

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Dec 2014 15:32

Did you visit Fife and Pollockshaws while you were in Scotland Jack? I seem to remember you had some Steele ancestors from there. In fact the World famous Burrell Collection is house very near to where your Pollockshaws ancestors lived :-)

Jack

Jack Report 5 Dec 2014 17:07

Hi Root gatherer,

No I did not visit Pollokshaws as there is no one there. But we did visit, Leslie Fife. No Joy there, as all was shut up except the church. But I did meet a very interesting flirtatious woman of 60 year of age who was a fountain of information but not any info re my folks..

Cheers,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada