Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Born in France?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Aussietrish

Aussietrish Report 10 Dec 2013 11:41

Hi,
I am working with someone trying to help her trace her mother (NOT an adoption)
. It seems her mother was born in 1956 Paris France.
I have tried looking for the BMD records for France but have ended up going round and round in circles and getting no where.
Does any one know if these records are searchable and how/where one orders the cert from.

thanks

Patricia

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Dec 2013 12:21

If her birth was reg at the British Embassy, or was an Army birth then it should show on The Army indices or overseas births on FMP .

If you want a look up them PM me the details

Aussietrish

Aussietrish Report 10 Dec 2013 12:31

thankyou for your offer.
I have trawled ancestry with no success. As far as we are aware she was born in Paris to French parents.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Dec 2013 16:39

I believe those records would be held locally and wouldn't be online .

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Dec 2013 21:40

If her parents were married and the marriage was in England, the marriage certificate should give her mother's father's name, as well as her mother's age.

Depending on how common her surname is, you *might* be able to get an idea of the most likely location here

http://www.geopatronyme.com/

the site is in French but it's easy to use, just type the surname in the box, and then when you get the results, they will be for the 1892 to 1915 period. Click on the 1941-1965 period to cover 1956.

Oh, losing those marbles again, you said Paris. Well then the site would give you an idea of how common the name is. :-)

Here is an introduction to French system

http://en.geneanet.org/first-step/search-your-french-ancestors/01-french-genealogical-records

AnneRachel

AnneRachel Report 10 Dec 2013 23:29

Have you tried this site?

http://www.paris.fr/pratique/papiers-formalites/naissance/acte-de-naissance-demande-gratuite-de-copie-integrale-ou-d-extrait-avec-ou-sans-filiation/rub_9949_stand_99423_port_24839

The mairie of Paris. It explains who can order an 'Acte de Naissance" (birth cert.) and there is a link to the page where you order it on line

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Dec 2013 23:57

For a brief summary if it helps

a child may apply for their parent's birth certificate (a copy of the register)

the information that has to be supplied is the person's full name, date of birth and parents' names

On the application form you can give a date range rather than a date

https://teleservices.paris.fr/etatcivil/jsp/site/RunStandaloneApp.jsp?page=formengine&form=naissance

you can also answer "don't know" for which local office you are applying to

> but to get a document that includes parents' names (which will also show any other known civil status events such as marriage or death), you have to provide the parents' names.

Aussietrish

Aussietrish Report 11 Dec 2013 05:03

Thankyou everyone for their suggestions. I have followed up on all the links and using google translate have managed to contact someone in the State archives. Just hope I get a responce.
Its a bit dissapointing about the birth certificate because unfortunately the parents are not known. We have a name and date and place of birth.
Hopefully the census which is accessable up until 1975 will have her living at home with her parents. We can then apply for her birth certificate. fingers crossed. and thanks again for all the help recieved. :-)

AnneRachel

AnneRachel Report 11 Dec 2013 21:57

Have you considered ordering the certificate without parents ( extrait sans filiation ), it is free ( gratuit ), and would at least confirm the name and date and place of birth.

Aussietrish

Aussietrish Report 12 Dec 2013 01:40

thankyou for that snippett of info Anne. didnt know I could do that. It seems that the site is down for maintainance at the moment.
Do you happen to speak French. if you do would you be willing to help me fill in the forms as between google translate and my lack of knowledge of the French language things are not happening very quick :-/

If you are happy to help then I will PM you the details.

thankyou

AnneRachel

AnneRachel Report 12 Dec 2013 02:27

Yes I do understand some French (the basics, not fluent) and would be happy to help if I can.

Aussietrish

Aussietrish Report 12 Dec 2013 04:33

PM sent :-)

Aussietrish

Aussietrish Report 12 Dec 2013 13:26

Thankyou again for everyones help. I have now managed to send a request to the register of births in Paris and hope the news will be positive. :-)