Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Annie and Billy Harris, sons Tom, John and Brian

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Jan 2014 11:12

Annie was my husband's (Lionel Cooper - deceased) maternal Aunt whom I last saw in 1980's living in Pimlico (Peabody Avenue) She was born in Ireland early 1900s
She had 3 sons Tom (known as Monty) next John (married to Celia I think...) with youngest son Brian, who was keen cyclist.
My mother-in-law was Kathleen Cooper (nee Mullen) from Omagh, Co.Tyrone.

I am having great difficulty tracing any of my daughters paternal line which is so disappointing for them having managed to get back to 1600's for my ancestors and would dearly love to be able to pass on the other half of their family tree,

Maggie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Jan 2014 12:11

Have you found their marriage .it will give their ages at marriage and fathers names .if known

Do you know her maiden name ?

It would help you to know her actual birth date when looking for her death

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Jan 2014 13:25

Her maiden name was either Mullen (same as my mum-in-law who was her older sister) or Armstrong ( 'granny' re-married but I don't have a clue when)

Thanks - wish I could 'get the hang of it' too !!!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Jan 2014 13:47

not seeing a marriage for her as Mullen or Armstrong could they have married in Ireland?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Jan 2014 14:23

When you last saw her in the 1980's she must have been over 70 ?

Have you looked for deaths after 1980?

Was she Annie or Ann/Anne ?

What was her mums name ?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Jan 2014 14:51

Hi there, I'm just going to make a list so my own mind sorts this out a bit better :-)

Ms X ('granny') married first Mr Mullen then Mr Armstrong

. daughter 1 Kathleen Mullen married Mr Cooper
son Lionel Cooper

. daughter 2 Annie Mullen or Armstrong married Billy (William?) Harris
sons Tom (Thomas?), John and Brian

If you can fill in any of those blanks it could help

your husband's granny:
- name of Ms X/Mullen/Armstrong (given name and surname at birth)

your husband's grandfather and stepgrandfather
- names of granny X's husbands Mullen and Armstrong

your husband's father
- name of Kathleen Mullen's husband Mr Cooper

some of that is probably what you are trying to find out :-)

but with one or two of the missing puzzle pieces it might be possible to find the marriages at familysearch.org

say granny X was Jane Kelly and her first husband was Patrick Mullen ... it means finding all the Jane Kelly marriages in the right timeframe in Co Ormagh and then looking at all the Patrick Mullen marriages in the same place in the same quarters (e.g. Jan-Mar 1925) as each of them to see whether the page numbers match.

(for English marriages the index tells you who else is on the same page ... for Irish marriages there isn't actually an index, just the individual records at familysearch ... at least that is all this non-Irishperson knows how to do)

so if we know granny X's husbands' names we can, hopefully, find when they married

if you don't know the names, the starting place would be to get Kathleen Mullen Cooper's birth certificate, so the other question is do you have an idea when she was born or when she died? or if you know granny's name, get Kathleen's marriage certificate to find her father's name.

or even more basic, was your husband Lionel Cooper born in England or Ireland, and what was his date of birth? I can't see a birth in either place ... my guess is that Kathleen Mullen and Mr Cooper married in Ireland and Lionel was born there ?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Jan 2014 16:39

the birth reg for your husband (in your tree, born 1943) in Surrey SW registration district shows his mother's name as MULLIN.

but there are no Harris-Mullin births to match Annie's sons either

and the Mullen/Mullin-Cooper marriage must have been in Ireland

if you know when and where Kathleen Mullin Cooper died (in England?) this would give us a birthdate for her

you have Kathleen Mullen born 1915 in your tree

The Irish births index shows (at familysearch.org) for births in Omagh

Kathleen Agnes Mullin 1911
Kathleen Mullan 1912
Catherine M B Mullan 1915

could she have been Kathleen Agnes?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jan 2014 16:53

Info on..............

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1336516

.......to which poster has not returned

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Jan 2014 17:18

thank you Reggie ................. so much for the instruction to make one post per closely related persons, and to offer all the information one has

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Jan 2014 18:01

so knowing that Kathleen MULLAN was probably born 1912, from the other thread, these are the possible births in Omagh, disregarding those whose second name was Annie, for

Annie Mullen
. Annie Mullan 1915
. Annie Josephine Mullin 1917
. Annie Teresa Mullin 1921

Annie Armstrong
. Annie Maria 1916
. Annie Elizabeth 1920

given the spelling, Annie Mullan Jan-Mar 1915 seems most likely

about the best match for death by birthdate and location

Name: Annie Harris
Birth Date: 23 Dec 1914 (if birth registered in Jan 1915)
Date of Registration: May 1984
Age at Death: 69
Registration District: Enfield
Inferred County: Middlesex
Volume: 12
Page: 375