Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Children of Henry Russell Robinson 1920-1978

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 8 Feb 2014 19:26

I am trying to find the children of Henry Russell Robinson and his wife Margaret Theresa. I don't have her maiden name. Henry, more usually known as H. Russell Robinson, was working in the Tower of London in the 1950's when I met him. He worked in the Royal Armouries and had written a number of historical books on Romans etc. He was one of my mother's first cousins, and at the time of his death, lived in the Bromley/Orpington area. I am trying to fill in some gaps in my family tree and possibly any descendants could help me.
Susan

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Feb 2014 19:47

Was he married when you met him in the 1950's

If so the marriage should be on FreeBMD

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Feb 2014 20:09

Is this him?

Name: Henry R Robinson
Mother's Maiden Surname: Bailey
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1920
Registration District: Hackney
Inferred County: Greater London
Volume Number: 1b
Page Number: 824

Name: Henry Russell Robinson
Birth Date: 7 May 1920
Date of Registration: Mar 1978
Age at Death: 57
Registration District: Southwark
Inferred County: London
Volume: 15
Page: 1441s

The informant could be family

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Feb 2014 20:19

If you google his name there are lots of books written by him that come up plus a photo of him

Susan

Susan Report 9 Feb 2014 12:23

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately when I met H. Russell Robinson in the 1950's, I was only a child. My aunt took me to the Tower of London so that she could introduce me to him. My mum who was a first cousin, was a semi-invalid, so didn't come with us. So I have no idea if he was married. I rather think he would have been. I am thinking that he might have got married during WW2, and so it might have been overseas, or maybe they didn't actually get married. I believe, from another cousin of mine who lived in Pratt's Bottom, near to Bromley and Orpington, and who knew at that time where the family lived, that there were possibly two daughters. She can't remember their names, but they were a bit younger that me. The problem is that if you don't know the mother's maiden name, then you can't necessarily find the births of their children. My own mother sadly died the year before H. Russell Robinson in 1978, so that source of information went with her, and I only have a couple of cousins still who descend from Robinsons that I know of, and they don't have any information on him either. I did try writing to the Chapel at the Tower of London to see if he had his children baptised there, which apparently you can do if you work there, and they didn't seem to have any more information on them either. I have found out about the books he wrote, but haven't come up with a photograph as yet. I will have another look. The reason I was trying to find these children of his, is I thought there might be some family information that they might have inherited from their father or grandfather which might be of use to me. Thanks anyway for your time. Susan

Pamz

Pamz Report 9 Feb 2014 12:40

Hi Susan have you thought of sending for the death certificate, it may hold information as in the informant, hopefully he was not in a nursing home or the like....

Susan

Susan Report 9 Feb 2014 12:44

Hi, yes, I did send for his death certificate. H. Russell Robinson died in Guy's Hospital and the informant on the death certificate was Margaret Theresa Robinson, widow of the deceased. They were living in Sevenoaks Road, Orpington, Kent at that time. She continued to live there for a few years, but later on, I don't know what happened to her. Thanks for your interest. Susan

patchem

patchem Report 9 Feb 2014 14:31

Have you tried to find any of the books he wrote to see if there is a photo of him in the 'information' on the back cover (or inside cover)?

patchem

patchem Report 9 Feb 2014 14:46

Have you considered a marriage in Scotland - or are there no scottish connections likely?

I cannot see an obvious marriage or death for Margaret - she could still be alive.

patchem

patchem Report 10 Feb 2014 17:41

From a pm Susan said that a possible death has been suggested to her, presumably this one:

Margaretta Theresa Robinson
Birth Date: 17 Oct 1920
Date of Registration: Apr 1999
Age at Death: 78
Registration District: Southwark
Inferred County: London
Register Number: A12A
District and Subdistrict: 2511A
Entry Number: 3

It would have been useful if the person had posted this on to the thread so that all helpers had access to it.

Henry and Margaretta are in a tree on ancestry, but no surname for Margaretta or children showing.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Feb 2014 11:48

Why do you assume that he and his wife had children?

If the suggested death for his widow is for the right person, her maiden name should be on the death cert..............

Patricia

Patricia Report 8 Oct 2014 17:43

According to his obituary in The Times, he left a wif and two daughters

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 Oct 2014 22:18

Have you tried looking for a marriage for the man?

Alternatively, you could follow the advice given in February and get a copy of the widow's death cert, then look for children, having found out the woman's maiden name

One of the daughters may have registered the death

jax

jax Report 8 Oct 2014 23:47

That is of course if Susan is still looking in since she posted this

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Oct 2014 00:55

Look at old electoral rolls of Sevenoaks Road, Orpington. The girls might appear.

Rose