Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

McCALLUM/CONNELLY/MORROW/BRESLIN Families

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gretchen

Gretchen Report 1 Mar 2014 03:43

I'm visiting Scotland from the US in May and searching for descendants of my Scottish grandfather's siblings. My grandfather was John McCallum (emigrated to Australia), his siblings were Alexander (emigrated to Canada), Jeanie, Agnes, Mary, and Rosetta. Parents were Henry and Elizabeth (Dodds) McCallum. Seems like Paisley was the area most everyone lived in or around.

I'd love to meet some relatives and learn a bit about where my grandfather came from.

Gretchen

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

patchem

patchem Report 1 Mar 2014 07:03

Welcome to the boards, Gretchen.

Have you looked to see if any of these people are in any trees on here?

If they are, you can then attempt to contact the tree owner.

Have you tried to trace any marriages and descendants yourself?

Have you found the deaths of the parents?

You have given no dates for this family, that might help.

Added:
Gretchen has John McCallum, 1911, in her tree on here- but not sure if that is her grandfather or father?

patchem

patchem Report 1 Mar 2014 07:21

?
John Mccallum
Birth Date: abt 1912
Departure Date: 17 Aug 1949
Port of Departure: Glasgow, Scotland
Destination Port: Sydney, Australia
Ship Name: Empire Brent
Search Ship Database: Search the 'Empire Brent' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping line: P and O
Official Number: 148847

Also Elizabeth, 30, Agnes R, 10, Ian,6.
From 42 Otago Street, Glasgow. He was a Fitter, she a Housewife.

There are quite a few John McCullums, so need some birth dates to confirm.
Agnes and Ian not in Gretchen's tree.

patchem

patchem Report 1 Mar 2014 07:25

I think Gretchen has John McCallum born in 1911, unspecified place, in her new tree, and John McCallum born 1911 in Launceston, Australia in a previous tree.

So ignore John McCallum emigration in 1949, above.

patchem

patchem Report 1 Mar 2014 07:38

This might be the family:
1901 Scotland Census
Hendry Mccallum Age: 60 Estimated birth year: abt 1841
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Lizzie Mccallum
Registration Number: 573/1 Registration district: Paisley Civil Parish: Paisley County: Renfrewshire
Address: 13 Barclay St.
ED: 25 Household schedule number: 102 LINE: 25 Roll: CSSCT1901_205
Hendry Mccallum 60
Lizzie Mccallum 46 Ireland
John Mccallum 24 Coatbridge, Lanarkshire
Alex Mccallum 22 Coatbridge, Lanarkshire
Mary Mccallum 20 Ireland
Jane Mccallum 18 Ireland
Agnes Mccallum 16 Ireland
Rosetta Mccallum 7 Ireland

John McCallum, 1876, Greenburn, in old tree of Gretchen on here.

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Mar 2014 07:42

Is this your family - seems to have all the correct names here. 1911 census not available except via Scotland'sPeople. You will need Scotland's People website to check for marriages of the siblings and then possible children for them etc. It is a Pay to View site - £7 for 30 credits. 1 credit will get you a list of possibles within parameters that you set, a further 5 credits will let you look at the detailed record within a time scale. 100 years for births, 75 for marriages and 50 for deaths. More recent than that and you would have to send off for certificates.

1901 census transcription details for: 13, Barclay Street, Paisley

National Archive Reference:
RG number: RG13
Piece: 573
Folio: 25
Page: 20
Reg. District: Paisley
Sub District:
Parish: Paisley
Enum. District:
Ecclesiastical District: High Church
City/Municipal Borough:
Address: 13, Barclay Street, Paisley
County: Renfrewshire
Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth Year Occupation , Disability Where Born
MCCALLUM, Hendry Head Married M 60 1841 Mason's Labourer Ireland
MCCALLUM, Lizzie Wife Married F 46 1855 Ireland
MCCALLUM, John Son Single M 24 1877 Mason's Labourer Coatbridge, Lanarkshire
MCCALLUM, Alex Son Single M 22 1879 Mason's Labourer Coatbridge, Lanarkshire
MCCALLUM, Mary Daughter Single F 20 1881 Thread Mill Worker (Winder) Ireland
MCCALLUM, Jane Daughter Single F 18 1883 Thread Mill Worker (Winder) Ireland
MCCALLUM, Agnes Daughter F 16 1885 Thread Mill Worker (Winder) Ireland
MCCALLUM, Rosetta Daughter F 7 1894 Scholar Ireland

Gretchen

Gretchen Report 7 Mar 2014 11:01

patchem and stuart: the John (Alexander) McCallum born in 1911 is my father. His father, also John, was born May 15, 1876.
And the Hendry McCallum and family in the 1901 Census is actually Henry McCallum, my great-grandfather (John's father).

patchem: you seem to have found a ship's manifest. Could you possibly check to see if my grandfather, John McCallum, was a 'stoker' on the Loongana, which was a purpose built passenger ship built by Wm Denny & Bros, Dumbarton in 1904? She left the Clyde on September 1, 1904 and arrived in Melbourne, Australia on October 7, 1904. The Loongana carried passengers and the mail between Melbourne and Launceston in Tasmania until 1935. My grandfather was supposedly a member of the crew of that ship.

Gretchen

Gretchen Report 7 Mar 2014 11:01

patchem and stuart: the John (Alexander) McCallum born in 1911 is my father. His father, also John, was born May 15, 1876.
And the Hendry McCallum and family in the 1901 Census is actually Henry McCallum, my great-grandfather (John's father).

patchem: you seem to have found a ship's manifest. Could you possibly check to see if my grandfather, John McCallum, was a 'stoker' on the Loongana, which was a purpose built passenger ship built by Wm Denny & Bros, Dumbarton in 1904? She left the Clyde on September 1, 1904 and arrived in Melbourne, Australia on October 7, 1904. The Loongana carried passengers and the mail between Melbourne and Launceston in Tasmania until 1935. My grandfather was supposedly a member of the crew of that ship.

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Mar 2014 14:51

This marriage shows on the Scotlands's People website. It could just be coincidental, but Rosetta McCallum is not a common name - only 1 on the 1901 census, a member of your family. The marriage is in the same RD as the 1901 census shows the family.
SP is a pay to view site - £7 buys you 30 credits. 1 credit will buy a page of results such as below - up to about 25 results per page. It will then cost 5 credits to look at the image and download as long as a birth is over 100 years ago, marriage 75 years and death 50 years. Younger than that and you would have to buy the certificate.
The site can be manipulated - I started with Rosetta McCallum marriage 1910-1930 and was able to reduce the parameters until 1918 was the only choice. You can do the same with County and district.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Jump to page: of 1 (1 records)
No Year Surname(M) Forename(M) Surname(F) Forename(F) District City/County/MR GROS Data Image Extract
1918 MORROW HUGH MCCALLUM ROSETTA PAISLEY /RENFREW 573/01 0361

Try their site yourself, there are 2 Agnes McCallum marriages Paisley 1912 and 1913 for example, 4 Jane's 1901-1913 etc. If you can find a birth/s from the marriages you would come forward a generation and so on.