Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth after 1922

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 29 Mar 2014 18:00

How do I find out if a couple had a child, which I suspect they did, but it does not appear on FreeBMD?
Thanks Linda

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Mar 2014 20:25

If you know the mother's maiden name and you don't see a birth, then you might want to consider there was an adoption.

Rose

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Mar 2014 20:49

Have you allowed for mis transcriptions?
My sister wouldn't feature on a search using our parents' names, but my brother and I do.
Her names have been wrongly printed on the GRO index.

Gwyn

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Mar 2014 21:15

Just select births then enter surnames in the correct surname boxes enter date range and tick the box marked "Phonetic search surnames" and this will allow for variations in the name spelling

don't select a district

Roy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Mar 2014 22:27

What is the source of your 'info' about this supposed child?

Are you related to either of the alleged parents?

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 30 Mar 2014 10:26

Do you know when or if the couple married?

have you looked for a birth in the mother's name only?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Mar 2014 10:58

Generally a good tip Roy, .... but my sister still doesn't feature with a phonetic search on Freebmd.
Can't think why not,but there it is.................

Sometimes one has to painstakingly look at the names and try to picture a handwritten version of the same, which might have been incorrectly 'copied'.

Gwyn

Flip

Flip Report 30 Mar 2014 12:27

I think the problem lies with freebmd - the phonetic search does not appear to apply to the mothers maiden name, just to the registered surname. I've had the same problem in the past where mmn has been incorrectly spelt.

Linda

Linda Report 30 Mar 2014 13:50

Hi Reggie,
The child is/was the child of my mum's cousin,
Linda

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Mar 2014 16:38

Who told you about this alleged birth?