Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

james skitt and the skitt family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 28 Aug 2014 23:10

he marr ellen Kelly in castlford 1892 they had 14 children 4 died young, I killed WW1,and 1 at hicksons factory that blew up 1930, edith ellen m Samuel plimmer
mary -----, sarah m Arthur siddall, mablle m fred dring,rosie m a man called Harrison
maude[molly] m William crann, olga m kenneth wardmam all had children in the Castleford/ pontifract area.
I am maude/ molly /William cranns son in law
regards john harper

patchem

patchem Report 28 Aug 2014 23:16

Have you looked to see if any of this family are in members' trees on here, and then attempted to make contact with them?

Have you found death certificates for them and then looked to see who was the informant, for more information?

Have you also managed to investigate possible children to the marriages?

Thank-you

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 29 Aug 2014 00:16

Hi John

Exactly what information are you looking for?

West Yorkshire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1935
about James Skitt Name:James Skitt (Bachelor) Miner
Birth Year:abt 1870
Marriage or Bann Date:14 Mar 1892
Parish:Warmfield, St Peter
Father's Name:James Skitt (Miner)
Spouse's Name:Ellen Kelly (Spinster)
Spouse's Father's Name:Anthony Kelly (Miner)
Witnesses: George Cadman and Frances Skitt

1911 England Census
about James Skitt Name:James Skitt
Age in 1911:41
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1870
Relation to Head:Head
Birth Place:Old Mill, Staffordshire, England
Civil Parish:Castleford
County/Island:Yorkshire-West Riding
Street address:9 Fulford St Half Acres Castleford
Marital Status:Married 19 years
Registration district:Pontefract
Registration District Number:505
Sub-registration district:Castleford

Household Members:

James Skitt 41
Helen Skitt 39
Annie Skitt 17
Richard Skitt 15
Mary Skitt 13
Hilda Skitt 12
Mabel Skitt 6
Sarah Skitt 9
Rose Skitt 3
James Edward Skitt 1

(10 children born.....9 living)

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 29 Aug 2014 07:48

Births Jun 1914
PLIMMER Alice W Skitt Pontefract 9c 350

Marriages Dec 1939 (>99%)
Plimmer Alice M.....William A Ward Leeds 9b 1431

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
about Alice Marian Ward Name:Alice Marian Ward
Birth Date:15 May 1914
Date of Registration:Jul 1999
Age at Death:85
Registration district:Leeds
Inferred County:Yorkshire
Register Number:A22C
District and Subdistrict:0921A
Entry Number:197

Births Jun 1917
Plimmer James E Skitt Pontefract 9c 258

about James Edward Plimmer Name:James Edward Plimmer
Birth Date:6 May 1917
Date of Registration:Nov 1988
Age at Death:71
Volume:5
Page:100

Births Sep 1919
Plimmer Noreen B Skitt Pontefract 9c 270

Marriages Sep 1942 (>99%)
Plimmer Noreen B.....Albert P Coulson Leeds 9b 612

about Noreen Barbara Coulson Name:Noreen Barbara Coulson
Birth Date:1 Sep 1919
Date of Registration:Aug 2004
Age at Death:84
Register Number:F32C
District and Subdistrict:092/1F
Entry Number:204

8 Skiddle/Skitt births......check them out on this free site...

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

John

John Report 29 Aug 2014 21:27

I have a lot of births of there children, and have a great deal of info on james skits children I want to find one or more of there children/grand children to ask about james skitt 1870- 1947,
my mum in law maude [molly] crann nee skit told me some awful tales of him I thought no he cant be that bad ??? but I have found something out about james skitt.
And I want to ask these offsring of skitts what they think
THIS NOTICE I PUT IN ABOUT THE SKITT FAMILYS WAS NOT INFORMATION
WANTED BUT JUST TO TALK ABOUT JAMES SKITT
Two of his daug were at my wedding to june m crann in 1968, daug of maude [molly skitt] and they both said more or less the same about james there dad. Ihave two things to do first find his grave/ and talk to his g/kids who should be about my age 68.
I like to give a guy a chance before I slag him down.
regards john harper

patchem

patchem Report 29 Aug 2014 22:10

As you have James Skitt as dead by 1947, then anyone of about your age was born about the year he died, and so would have little personal knowledge of him.

As I said in my initial post, have you looked to see if any of his family have trees on genes, and then tried to make contact with them that way.

Did your wife not keep in touch with any of her cousins?

As he has been dead for almost 70 years then why are you so keen to rake up dirt on someone who you never met?

John

John Report 29 Aug 2014 22:56

patchem
some of my knowledge came from my wife and some from her older sister who says she new him but she was 6 then mostly from my mum in law and some from one of maudes sisters who came to my wedding james there dad had 14 children from 1892-1918 and its the youngest that got the abuse .
I know his wife left him don't know what year, I know men can be nasty but a drunk/bully wife/child beater he was a miner they are hard/ tough guys but I live among them my mates were miners some still are theres no need for it I was told he was hated that much the skitts said NO do not bury him near us and that came from his children.

my wifes family is like some others they live 10/20 miles apart but don't stay in touch let alone know when the die.
I have been in touch with the familys on genes trees.
And yes patchem I WIIL rake the dirt on this scum bag as he stands now until I hear from the people who are skitts or related to them to say to me I am wrong then I will eat my hat.
patchem you have helped me a lot and I have a lot of respect for you and the others that have helped me in the past years, and if you look back they more people I pick on the summers/bakers but I find out as much info as I can, I do not suffer fools alive or dead
alive you stand and be counted dead you take the s--t,
sorry if I have hurt some feelings but that's me

regards to all john harper

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Aug 2014 15:12

Have you thought about looking in the newspaper archives? Although allegations are taken more seriously now, if the police had become involved, there might be a magistrates report.

John

John Report 1 Sep 2014 17:32

det
I don't think the police were told about it the guy himself was a union man and a couseler both girls said he smacked them hard he was also known to punch but the worst was him being drunk and making his kids and wife do what he said or else. I have been meaning to go to Castleford find his grave and go into the library and find out as well about hicksons explosion in the early 1930s. we are taking about 1920/26 all the older ones had left or got marr, all I want is to know this man find out about him so I know in my mind what happened and then put it to bed. if he was alive bully, drunk, abuser
I would find him I hate bullys
john

John

John Report 4 Sep 2014 23:42

To everybody I have found james skitts grave, and his children that died young 5 in all. I could get death certs for them but I have there deaths, what these graves tell me is that the grave yard is large and his dead children are well away from his grave the last death of his children was 1923 three in the same grave these were very young, he died 1947 nine were still alive when I got marr to one of there nieces.
The ad I put in the find living relitives returned nothing but by what I have got about the grave proves to me what I was told by my mum in law and her sisters was right he was a drunk,bully and a abuser and thank god he is dead and will not have to face me ?? but in the next world I will remember,
thankyou all
John Harper