Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for my uncle Andrew O Callaghan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Noreen

Noreen Report 30 Jan 2015 21:58

Hi I am looking for my Uncle who was last heard of 1959/1960 in the Wolverhampton area His name is Andrew O Callaghan from Cork City and would have been 25

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Feb 2015 12:50

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1349176

Callaghan or O'Callaghan?
If O is an initial, what is the name?

As you said on your other thread that he was born May 1933, have you looked for deaths?

Noreen

Noreen Report 1 Feb 2015 12:57

My Uncle Andrew was born !st of May 1933 in Cork Ireland Lived in Fleet and Farnham Surry up to 1959/60 moved with friends to Wolverhampton for work and was never heard of again I know he was in some small trouble and possibly deported back to Ireland and then returned to England maybe under another name? also had been in hospital with TB How do I go about searching hospitals /prisons etc Thanks
and its O'Callaghan sorry

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Feb 2015 13:02

Bearing in mind that there is and was free movement between Eire and the UK, its unlikely that he was deported.

No one has successfuly found a way to track down prison records especially fairly recent ones - try searching the newspaper archives for reports of an arrest/trial. As GR only go up to 1949, you may have to resort to visiting a local archive in person if you can identify where his 'small trouble' occured.

You'd have to track down the Sanitorium or Hospital were he was treated. The NHS may well have destroyed historical medical records - in any event unless you can prove death, they are unlikely to release those of a potentially living person.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Feb 2015 13:10

Did he have a middle name?

On the off-chance that someone does an internet search for him in the future, if you include his parents names on the thread, it might be easier for them to decide if the posts related to 'their' Andrew.

Its a shame that O'Callaghan is such a common name.

Noreen

Noreen Report 1 Feb 2015 13:27

No middle name
Parents Nora nee Twomey
William O,Callaghan
siblings William Noreen Debra(Debbie) Margaret(Peggy) Mary(Molly) Gearld Arthur Ellen (Phylis)
He had been in trouble in Cork and Farnham petty crimes my Dad said stealing small things from Woolworths !!

Noreen

Noreen Report 1 Feb 2015 13:29

There have been searches done before with no luck am contemplating going on facebook sites for the wolverhampton/surrey areas see if anyone might remember him along shot I know but my Dad was hoping with all the social networks and being able to contact anyone in the world ( he finds it facinating !) something might crop up as to what happened to Andrew Thanks for the help

malyon

malyon Report 1 Feb 2015 16:23

hi
i had a andrew who dissapeared searched for ages no luck then a helper on here found he was using or changed his name to his mothers maiden name

Noreen

Noreen Report 1 Feb 2015 19:05

Hi Yvonne
How did they find he'd changed his name??? His Mothers maiden name was Twomey I'll start searching with that Thanks

malyon

malyon Report 1 Feb 2015 23:59

hi
they found him because there was no birth of a andrew with the mothers maiden name in 1840
i knew his birth name date of birth and mothers maiden name then he dissapeared after 1871 census he left his wife and children between 1871 and 1881 then vanished thats when he changed his name was living with a woman under mothers name i searched for a death in his birth name never found it he was born in 1840 so would have died years ago found death for him in mothers name with the excate birth date

Noreen

Noreen Report 2 Feb 2015 11:19

Just spoke with Salvation Army and they said they searched everywhere and couldn't find a link to him I'd say our only chance of finding out what happened to him is if we find someone who knew him!!!! and unfortunately we don't know who he went to Wolverhampton with

malyon

malyon Report 4 Feb 2015 20:58

hi
sent pm to you