Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret Allinson born 1949 Middlesbrough

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie57

Julie57 Report 29 Jan 2016 23:15

Trying desperately to find my husbands half-sister Margaret who was adopted at 6 weeks old

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Jan 2016 01:19

If he hasn't already, your husband should add his name to the adoption contact register, and hope that she has as well
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

Once its been transcribed, You could also find her birth reg on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ , create a generic email address and leave a message that birth siblings would welcome contact. Don't use your 'normal' email address in case it attracts spam.
Freebmd is an on-going project. Her entry is not shown yet, or at least not as far as I can see. Check back every few weeks until it does.

Add her name to your tree on here as well as that of her mother. There is one person who lists an Margaret Allison 1949, but with no place of birth. If you don't know him, have you sent him a message? You can tell if its been read by looking in your 'sent message' box on GR. Unread ones have an envelope icon next to them
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/messages/12633035/discover?rk=560867046

If your mother in law ever said which adoption agency she used, you could ask for a letter to be kept with her adoption file. If in doubt, contact Middlesbrough social services.

Lastly - always keep the email address you generally use registered with GR even if you change broad band suppliers and NEVER delete your account. There have been instances where the person has found an ancient thread featuring their name, only to discover the original poster has deleted their account. The preferred alternative, if you choose not to renew, is to allow your account to lapse. Lapsed members can reply to PMs but can't instigate them.

Julie57

Julie57 Report 30 Jan 2016 10:05

Thank you so much detective, very helpful advice we are now making concerted effort now, following enquiries to social services several years ago to no avail, as time is marching on.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Jan 2016 10:21

Just a small point - the birth HAS been transcribed DT! So your excellent suggestion of leaving a message can be followed up.
It might be worth asking if your contact details can be added to her adoption file, if social services can locate it.

Julie57

Julie57 Report 30 Jan 2016 10:37

Just tried to enter the postem. Can you advise if I write the message in the blank box AND the picture box?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Jan 2016 12:07

You click 'add a postem' (as I think you have done), and type message in box just below this - given as an example:

'Births Dec 1873
Powell Kathleen Mary E D St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 394
Insert text for new postem (maximum 250 characters):'

The little box with a picture below it is for security to show you aren't a computer! Just copy what you see, numbers and/or letters.

Jan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Jan 2016 12:29

Apoligise for the error - perhaps I should have gone to bed instead of getting involved ;-)

Julie57

Julie57 Report 31 Jan 2016 11:04

Thanks brummiejan, I thought that was the case, but didn't want to mess up!! You definitely should have got involved detective as your advice was invaluable :-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 31 Jan 2016 13:50

Quite agree!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Jan 2016 23:02

Aww, shucks ;-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 1 Feb 2016 12:20

There is 1 match in search trees,,,a connection.?

Julie57

Julie57 Report 1 Feb 2016 13:42

Thanks Kay. I messaged a few days ago but it hasn't been opened