Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cousin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Doreen

Doreen Report 8 Mar 2016 14:51

Trying to find any information on the brother , named Rob, of Geoffrey Galsworthy

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Mar 2016 14:58

Doreen can you give an idea of location and year please.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Mar 2016 15:07

You have Geoffrey born 1930 in your tree, but as far as I can see from freebmd the only Geoffrey is 1931,

EDITED excuse me rambling about a Ron, I misread Rob :-S

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 8 Mar 2016 15:10

There is a brother Bernard......Neath.........but no Rob/Robert.

Perhaps born Scotland??

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Mar 2016 18:17

Who were his parents? Was Rob from another marriage?

Rose

malyon

malyon Report 8 Mar 2016 22:07

could the name be ronald

Births Sep 1934 (>99%)
Galsworthy Ronald Galsworthy Uxbridge

malyon

malyon Report 8 Mar 2016 22:39

was the mothers maiden name barnett

Robert H Barnett

England and Wales Birth Registration Index
Name Robert H Barnett
Event Type Birth Registration
Registration Quarter Apr-May-Jun
Registration Year 1921
Registration District Birmingham
County Warwickshire
Event Place Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Mother's Maiden Name (not available before 1911 Q3) Barnett

Doreen

Doreen Report 9 Mar 2016 09:46

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am still hoping to find out about Rob, and will keep looking.
Doreen

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 9 Mar 2016 10:19

PM sent to Doreen asking for further information.

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Mar 2016 10:53

Doreen has PMd to say she is looking into a death in 1968, from probate I can see that it was for a John Robert Galsworthy so maybe Doreen will be able to find out more from the death cert.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Mar 2016 19:23

I'm finding a little mystery here and I wonder whether Doreen knows things we don't, or some of this could be useful.

Going by the mother's surname on the brother's birth, this is the parents' marriage -- assuming they were married and the mother had not been married before

Marriages Jun 1925
Barnett Bertha (Galsworthy) Neath 11a 1837
Galsworthy Arthur F (Barnett) Neath 11a 1837

if that's wrong I should stop there

but there were only 2 Galsworthy-Barnett marriages before or after that, 1897 and 1900, and Neath is where the birth was

... okay, Doreen you have Arthur Francis Galsworthy 1870 in your tree, so that's him?

Births Mar 1870
GALSWORTHY Arthur Francis Bath 5c 720

and Bertha Barnett 1891 Wiltshire, so I guessed right on her when I was searching too

Births Dec 1891
Barnett Bertha Chippenham 5a 67

but here are the complications

Deaths Dec 1925
Galsworthy Arthur F 58 Neath 11a 949

Arthur died mere months after the marriage

before the son named in Doreen's post was born (Doreen is he deceased?)

... but ... there are multiple Galsworthy/Barnett births in Neath from 1913 to 1933 - 10 births in total, only two after the marriage, some years after

this is Bertha's death I think

Name: Bertha Galsworthy
Birth Date: 22 Sep 1891
Date of Registration: Jun 1975
Age at Death: 83
Registration district: Enfield
Inferred County: Greater London
Volume: 12
Page: 0411

I can't see her by that name in the 1939 register

what I'm getting at is ... is it possible that Rob was born after Bertha's husband died, and his surname is different?

yes

the other birth mentioned in this thread was double registered, two surnames ... under Bertha's husband's surname (even though he was long deceased?) and his father's ... that child, Bernard, died the same quarter he was born

and

there is another birth with the same surname combination, and the given name is Robert

so I think probably Rob was known by his father's surname

Doreen just search at freebmd for any births with surname Galsworthy and mother's surname Barnett and you will see all those births

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

then search for births in Neath with mother's surname Barnett, 1930-1935 and you will see the three later births

if this was known to you and you preferred not to disclose it, I can delete the info

if it was known to you and you just didn't mention it ...

for info, all of the children born before the 1925 marriage who survived to adulthood (also one child died in young adulthood) married in Hendon, and the youngest child after the marriage married in Harrow

this suggests that they were all a family

but no obvious marriage for the child Robert appears

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Mar 2016 19:44

slaps self for not noticing, well spotted Joonie. :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Mar 2016 19:56

This 'might' be the 1939 which would tie in perhaps with the death for a John R that Doreen is looking into? Year of birth is different for Bertha but the day and month is right?

Name is Galsworthy on image.

Glasworthy Household (8 People)
47 Dudley Gardens Dudley Gardens , Harrow U.D., Middlesex, England

Bertha Glasworthy 22 Sep 1889 Unpaid Domestic Duties
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.
John R Glasworthy 27 Jun 1930 School Age
Thomas Dabbin 08 Jan 1883 Painter & Decorator

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Mar 2016 20:19

I was just adding to mine about how the children all married in Hendon except for one in Harrow :-)

but that birthdate is off for Bertha

mistranscription? the 22 Sep is exactly right

well done, I was in the middle of looking further in the 1939 and had got to Hendon but not Harrow yet :-)

but John R, hm ... birthdate is bang on though, for Robert D surname not Glasworthy mother Barnett

but what it means is that he is deceased and this is a bit of an abrupt way to learn it ...

Name: John R Galsworthy ?
Birth Date: abt 1931
Date of Registration: Jun 1968
Age at Death: 37
Registration district: Wycombe
Inferred County: Buckinghamshire
Volume: 6a
Page: 460

Marriages Dec 1952
GALSWORTHY John R ELLIOTT Harrow 5f 720

it looks like his spouse is on the current electoral roll in Hertfordshire

4 children of their marriage, 3 of whose births can be found at freebmd

and in one of those funny coincidences, that search at Ancestry found me another child of Bertha, whose surname is spelt Barnet on that birth record

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Mar 2016 20:30

Joonie, Doreen already knows that John is deceased so it won't come as a shock. I also sent a link to the probate record.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Mar 2016 20:32

oh, thanks Rose, that's right, that was exactly the death record she was looking at back a few posts, I wonder how she knew

I feel we should summarise for Doreen

it looks like Rob was born Robert D Price, but married as John R Galsworthy

he was living with his mother Bertha in 1939 in Harrow ... his name can be seen in that register because his death has been confirmed

however he and his wife had 4 children and it seems his wife is still living

if you want to contact his family we can give you the info about his wife and look for info about his children ... fortunately their unusual surname makes this easier than usual

although one of Bertha's daughters did marry a Jones ;)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Mar 2016 20:37

malyon

maybe you would remove the two unrelated Galsworthy births, one of whom might be living (and he or his family might not want those details of his birth broadcast)

then I'll delete this post

Doreen

Doreen Report 11 Mar 2016 09:03

Thanks everyone .from all the info I now know all I need to know about Robert and his family and will let sleeping dogs lie.
Thank you all once again
doreen

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Mar 2016 15:08

Doreen, I think we don't know your connection with Rob. But if it's a close one, you might find that other members of his family (children of his half-siblings - grandchildren of his mother Bertha) would like to know you or your family member who is related to him.

It seems from the 1939 register - with 4 children in the household in addition to Rob/John - that they were together as children.

Some people do find a welcoming extended family when they make contact. If you wanted to do that, we could help by finding contact info (privately) if you wanted.

greyghost

greyghost Report 30 Mar 2016 18:23

Connected thread -

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1359031?page=1