Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Phillips family, W. Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Edann

Edann Report 11 Mar 2016 06:49

I found part of a letter after the death of my mother, Jennie Hall (nee Ratcliffe) in 2000

The letter was dated 2nd December 1996 and was sent from:
33 Celebration St., Beckenham, W. Australia, 6107.

I belive the family name in Australia is PHILLIPS:
Father - Harry PHILLIPS
Mother - Patricia (or Phyllis) nee HALL from Oldham, Lancashire, England. She is my half-cousin, daughter of William HALL.

I think that they have 4 children:
1. Bethany b. c. 1979
2. Seth b. c. 1981
3. Luke b. c. 1983
4. Ruth b. c. 1986.

Harrty attempted to trace me via the Rossendale Express newspaper several years ago. Unfortunately I had moved from Rossendale to Darlington in County Durham in 2000 and was unaware of this attempted contact until quite recently.

I would be grateful for any information which will help me establish contact.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Mar 2016 08:01

Have you tried the Australian whilte pages :-)

Edann

Edann Report 11 Mar 2016 08:56

Hi Shirley,
Yes, I've tried but no luck so far.
Thanks for the tip.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Mar 2016 09:45

The likely place to look for the young people is facebook.......there are name matches for a couple of the girls although common ones are infact in Australia and one in WA.

malyon

malyon Report 11 Mar 2016 17:08

could this death be related

Harry Seth John Phillips
BillionGraves Index
death: 11 February 1973
burial: Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Mar 2016 17:11

Wasn the letter dated 1996? If so that death can't be the same Harry Phillips

Louisa

Louisa Report 11 Mar 2016 23:33

Hi edann
I've never heard of these people, but then I've just started looking myself!
My family all came from theddlethorpe and then Saltfleetby.
If I can be of any help, I will happliy look at the trees I have been kindly shown by other users for you to see if there are any connections?
Regards
Louisa phillips.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 12 Mar 2016 00:03

malyon since Edann's Harry's children were born after 1978 the death in 1973 is not likely her Harry ... Harry Seth John Phillips was born in 1903 in Bristol ...

Google is also always a good idea ... this is a Seth in Perth, with a photo if that might help

https://www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsseth

he finished secondary school in 1999 which would be about exactly right

this is that Seth on twitter

https://twitter.com/sethatddls

Edann

Edann Report 12 Mar 2016 06:15

The letter was dated December 1996 and an attempt was made to contact me about 2000.
This means, unfortunately, that the death record suggested by Maylon is too early.

As JoonieClooney said; the children were all born after that date. The dates of the births are all correct within 1 year as ages are confirmed in the letter. That, plus their address from which the letter came, are the omly concrete facts. I am certain that the mother came originally from Oldham, Lancashire, England

Edann

Edann Report 12 Mar 2016 06:24

I will attempt to contact the Linkedin link today.
It could be a good lead.

Ru

Ru Report 12 Mar 2016 15:37

Hello Edann,

May I suggest you google "Australian Residential White Pages WA" - follow the usual and just put in Perth.

It does come up with many S Phillips and lists the state - easily to pick out the WA ones and this may help although I warn you, you may need to eliminate districts first, but a good way to go and phone calls are a quick and easy way to connect at a minimum of cost.

Good luck,
Peahen

Ru

Ru Report 12 Mar 2016 15:46

Hi again.

The Linkedin suggests Seth is a Director with DDLS:

DDLS Perth:

Address:
Level 7, 553 Hay St, Perth WA 6000

Phone:
1800 853 276

Fax:
08 9225 6022

You could just try this connection. They may have an email address.

Again good luck
Peahen

Valerie

Valerie Report 15 Mar 2016 05:00

Hi Edann
The' West Aus State Library' (on-line) has an 'Ask a Librarian' service - they will check electoral rolls -past & present. Any addresses you have would help. They also check newspaper death notices - clues/dates/location would help.

The 'West Australian' newspaper has a special 'Can You Help' page each Monday - they will place an 'ad' for those you're looking for.

Valerie
Albany
WAus

Edann

Edann Report 15 Mar 2016 05:45

Thanks Valerie,

i will try contacting both the lbrary and the paper today.
edann

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Mar 2016 23:48

I would feel pretty confident that the Seth with the LinkedIn profile is the Seth in question - the location is exactly right, the age is exactly right, and that full name is not likely so common that there are two people who fit that profile. :-)

Why not just try contacting him directly?

there is an email address at their website

https://www.ddls.com.au/contact-us/

and you would just need to say that your message is personal from a family member and would they please pass on your email address to him.

Edann

Edann Report 16 Mar 2016 05:27

All the above suggestions are now in the process of being followed up.
i have made contact through various sources and await replies over the next few days.

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

Edann

Ru

Ru Report 16 Mar 2016 21:39

JoonieCloonie,

My thoughts exactly. I probably would go a step further and make the call. It is the quickest way to feel what a reception might be. However, this has been ticked as answered and we hope Edann gets what he set out to find.

Good luck again EDann.

Peahen.

ps Lived 5 years in St. Austell where the girls were born. Roche down the road from us.