Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 11 Jun 2016 21:47

HI I am looking for my Dads full brother Born James Elsmere on the 27th July 1933 and adopted 1936/7

patchem

patchem Report 11 Jun 2016 22:31

Welcome to genesreunited, Sandra.

Have you put James and your Father, and their parents in your tree on here, so that anyone who knows of James can contact you through this site/

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Jun 2016 23:38

Where was James born and what was his mother's maiden name? I can't see a birth for that name in England or Wales in 1933.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jun 2016 23:41

Have you or your father added his name to the Adoption Contact Register? If he has as well, you should get a match

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

Bearing in mind his date of birth, there is a chance that he is deceased. If any descendents know/knew his birth name - being adopted at a such a young age, he may not have been aware - they might look for his birth reg and that of any birth relatives. See if you can find the entries on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/
You can leave a message on there (Post'em) saying that birth family would welcome contact. Use a generic email address such as @gmail, @hotmail etc.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jun 2016 07:14

His birth isn't showing on FMP , Ancestry, or FreeBMD

Is he was born in Scotland then not sure you can add any addendum to his birth record on there

patchem

patchem Report 12 Jun 2016 07:38

Sandra's grandfather looks to be Charles Elsmere, 1911, Paddington, according to Sandra's tree. (But I cannot see a birth for him)

Charles married in 1939 to Florence Shelley, but they only appear to have one child showing on free bmd, presumably Sandra's father,

There is a James Shelley/Shelley born in Paddington in 1933

Added:
Charles H G Elsmere appears to have been born in 1900, died 1977.

Sandra

Sandra Report 12 Jun 2016 08:55

HI May I start with saying I'm very grateful for the help I am receiving .
As you can tell I'm new at this lol.I have found a record of the birth of James on the ancestry site.my grandma's name was flo shelley.my grandad was Charles elsmere.I have a few diarys of my gran's that tell me she was with my grandad from 1925,so I'm guessing he was their baby.I did try to get a copy of the birth certificate,but I think as he was adopted I can't have it?James adoption papers came through on the 10 October 1936.
I will look and register on them other sites thank you

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jun 2016 10:00

You would be able to order a copy of the original birth certificate, but it wouldn't give his 'new' name.The official site is

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

A copy would cost you £9.25 inc P&P. At some point the web site will ask you if you know the gro index references. Tick 'Yes' and complete the form using only the details you've found.

If the Shelley 1933 Paddington birth is the one you've found, its unlikely that it will name his father. If the father had attended the registration, it would have been double-indexed to reflect his surname.
Should that prove to be the case, you'd probably need DNA testing to ascertain if he was/is a full brother.
Come to think of it, that might be something to consider just in case he/his descendents has done the same. There are various sites where you can upload the results.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jun 2016 10:09

You haven't added James to your tree either under his mother's maiden name or his presumptive fathers surname. That means that no relative will find you if they use the 'Search all members trees' function on this site!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jun 2016 11:03

So he wasn't James Elsmere at birth but James Shelley

He hasn't been also recorded with the surname Elmere so it's unlikey he has any father listed on his cert

You can order a copy of his cert through the GRO

www.gro.gov.uk using the GRO reference

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Jun 2016 11:36

I would have thought that if Charles was the father of James then James wouldn't have been adopted (although I could be wrong of course).

Did your grandmother marry again in 1952 to a Mr. Brewster?

This looks like your grandparents in the 1939 register:-

Elsmere Household (2 People)
161 Berkeley Buildings , St Marylebone, London, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS

Florence M Brewster (Elsmere) 25 Mar 1906 Female Tobacco Assistant Married
Charles H G Elsmere 23 Apr 1900 Male Joiner Wood Married

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Jun 2016 11:56

Could the diaries you have maybe say your grandparents were together since 1935 rather than 1925? Just a thought really because it seems quite a long time for them to be together and not marry until 1939, especially when it doesn't seem like either of them were previously married.

Kath. x

Sandra

Sandra Report 12 Jun 2016 16:08

HI yes I did think that. why would he be adopted when they were together unless James had a disability that they couldn't cope with.just a thought I had. they got engaged 28 March 1926.so it said in the diary.
Yes flo did remarry a Duncan Brewster x