Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Theresa Saunders

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Altaf

Altaf Report 13 Aug 2016 21:31

I am trying to trace my half sister who should be in her early 50's now. We have the same father, Mohammed HUSSAIN. I think she was born in Staffordshire, possibly Stoke-on-Trent. I last saw her in 1976 (or thereabouts) when I was aged approximately 9 years- she was around 12 years of age.
I have a photo of her and her mother when she was a child and probably taken around the time I met her for the first and last time.
If anyone can help or if my half sister reads this please get in touch.
Best wishes
Altaf

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 13 Aug 2016 22:25

Hello Altaf, welcome to the boards.

You can search for birth-marriage-death information here

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

there is no birth for that name in or around 1964 in the area you mention

(I also checked at Ancestry in case the records at FreeBMD are not up to date yet)

if her mother's surname was the same as hers, there is only one birth for a T*eresa during that time, and it was in Wales

You can search other members' trees here at this site to see whether she or any family are members and have her in their tree, and try to contact anyone who seems possible by clicking beside their name.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/saunders/theresa?memberkey=0&yearofbirth=1964&yearofbirthrange=5

(I would also check for spelling Teresa)

Do you recall where it was that you met her the one time?

malyon

malyon Report 13 Aug 2016 22:56

was her mother married at the time Theresa was born

Altaf

Altaf Report 13 Aug 2016 23:23

My challenge is that it is all very hazy and approximate. I am unsure over the spellings, birth place and even when how old I was when I met her- I do know I was young but I could have been a little older.
Thank you for the search- the Wales lead may be an option as Swansea is not too far from Stoke.
I don't think her mother was married at the time but once again I am speculating.

Altaf

Altaf Report 13 Aug 2016 23:27

Out of interest, if it was the Teresa in Wales, how could I best make contact?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 14 Aug 2016 01:27

Altaf, that is a very difficult question.

Even if that is the right birth, the name is so common that definitely identifying her marriage (if she married) would not be possible.

Ordinarily, a way to be sure that one is tracing the right person is to get a birth certificate and then see whether the father's name on a marriage certificate matches the one on the birth certificate.

In your case, this would not be possible (for obvious reasons I won't lay out). But the age stated on marriage could be matched to birth, for example.

This is the sort of thing I ordinarily find intrusive but very likely your sister would appreciate being in touch with you too.

You can check sources like Facebook to see whether there is a user who matches your information.

As it happens there is no good match in marriages for that name with that middle initial near that location; there are marriages in Hampshire and Suffolk.

hm, FreeBMD has mistranscribed the middle initial of the birth in Wales. It is A, not K.

and there is actually a good marriage match for the name; I will send you the details privately.

Altaf

Altaf Report 15 Aug 2016 23:42

Thanks for all your help and advice. Look forward to the marriage details privately

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 16 Aug 2016 20:40

sent on the 14th :-)

Look up at the top and you will see a notice beside Messages that you have a message, click on inbox to see it!

(I can tell you haven't read it yet because it shows a little envelope still beside it in my Sent Messages.)