Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find my deceased father's relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 2 Apr 2017 23:18

Hi, my father 'Anthony John Reginald Henry' was born in Paddington in 1947 and died in February 1982 leaving his 10 year old daughter (myself). I am desperately trying to find any living relatives. If anybody can help I would be truly grateful. Thank you.

malyon

malyon Report 2 Apr 2017 23:42

was his parents not married not seeing a marriage mothers maiden name hinton
looks like he was an only child do you know his father's name

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Apr 2017 00:47

Unless we can find a Henry/Hinton marriage, it might be worth purchasing a copy of his birth certficate using the following references

Births Dec 1947 (>99%)
Henry Anthony J R (mmn) Hinton Paddington 5d 310

Use the site https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp where certificates will cost £9.25 inc P&P. If you apply before 12 April, you may be able to have a Pdf file version sent to you at the reduced cost of £8.

You have him on your tree, but not his place of birth. If you add that, it'll help to identify him to any other people who may be looking for his relations.

Have you sent a message to David who also has an Anthony Henry 1947, no place of birth, in his tree?
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/messages/5818073/discover?rk=210396598

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Apr 2017 01:59

Your grandfathers' names should also be on your parents marriage certificate, if you have a copy.

Joanne

Joanne Report 4 Apr 2017 22:12

I do have my father's birth certificate and his father's name (my grandfather) was Reginald Henry and his mother's name (my grandmother) was Dorothy Henry (maiden name Hinton). I have had somebody tell me that they did not marry but changed name by deed poll! My dad was an only child. I have sent a message to David, but not had a reply yet.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Apr 2017 22:40

Hi Joanne, did you ever know your father's mother or father?

If so, any idea of when they died? Their age would show in the deaths index, if they died after 1969, and that would make it possible to identify their births, and then their family members.

Do you know whether they died before your dad died?

His birth certificate does not show them as having any middle names?

Your dad's mother changing her name by deed poll would not be hugely unusual. It would usually be if one of the couple was not able to marry (already married), in a day when divorce could be difficult.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Apr 2017 22:55

In the mid-1940s there is a Reginald Henry on electoral rolls in Paddington, but living with an Edith Henry.

The same couple is there up to 1961 at the same address, 52 Inverness. After that, that Reginald Henry is living in Bravington Rd.

(Ancestry's database is so bad that Reginald seems to be there before 1947, but I can't find the right image.

note: that marriage took place two years after your dad's birth, and the registration indicates that the bride was using the groom's surname at the time of marriage.

Possibly Reginald and Dorothy were not married and also were not a couple, and she changed her surname for respectability so as not to appear to be a single mother ... and simply claimed to be married when she registered your dad's birth.

Does his birth certificate say who registered the birth? If she did, and Reginald was not present and they were not married, she could legally have registered your dad only in her surname, if she had not changed it by deed poll by then.

If you know your grandparents, it could help with some of these questions. Can your mother tell you anything about them? (My apologies if your mum is deceased as well.)

edit -- MOVING THIS INFO TO THE OTHER THREAD, SEE BELOW.
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1250649

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Apr 2017 23:30

Do you know anything about this?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1243026

Rose

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Apr 2017 23:30

on the 1939 register, a Reginald C Henry 1913 is living in Bermondsey with what seem to be his parents Albert and Elsie and siblings Alfred and Alice

Marriages Dec 1940
Henry Reginald C Stean Bermondsey 1d 354
Stean Marjorie E Henry Bermondsey 1d 354

that couple had only one child, in the early 1940s.

this is all just speculation and investigation at this point ... but it could suggest the possibility of a wartime marriage that did not last ...

Name: Reginald Charles Henry
Birth Date: 25 Feb 1913
Date of Registration: Nov 1997
Age at Death: 84
Registration district: Greenwich
Inferred County: London
Register Number: C59
District and Subdistrict: 2291C
Entry Number: 143

can find no birth for Marjorie E Stean so can't identify her death

it's also possible that if Dorothy Hinton/Henry changed her name by deed poll, she was the spouse previously married, and Hinton might even have been her first husband's surname ...

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Apr 2017 23:32

Ah, another thread

Quoy is a longtime member. It's a little surprising she did not reply in that thread.

Joanne you will want to try to contact her if you are not already in touch.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Apr 2017 23:39

More here:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1250649

Rose

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Apr 2017 00:14

So Quoy was researching on behalf of Joanne, but Joanne you have not told us that, or given us the information that Quoy had, e.g. Dorothy's birthdate, where the deed poll name change info came from, where Dorothy was in 1939 ...

and then carried on the search in that thread, before starting this new one.

Not a wise way to ask for help.

People waste their time searching for or 'finding' things that already known.

I suggest that Joanne's search be continued in that last thread, where there is information not given in this one.