Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Morrison and Mary Beaton (Isle of Lewis)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Daniel

Daniel Report 10 Apr 2017 22:11

Hello, I am looking for relatives of my grandmother.

My grandmother Johanna was born to Mary Morrison (1906-1978), unmarried. Mary's parents were John Morrison (1881-) and Mary Morrison (née Beaton; 1884-1964). John was the son of Angus Morrison and Mary (Macdonald) Morrison, and Mary was the daughter of Norman Beaton and Ann (MacRae) Beaton, of 15 Vatisker.

I know John and Mary were married on October 2nd, 1906 in Vatisker. They had other children, I believe: Malcolm (born 1909), Norman, Ina, Catherine Ann, Margaret Ann, Alexander and Shona.

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!

greyghost

greyghost Report 10 Apr 2017 22:48

Welcome to the boards Daniel.

Whilst Scottish census 1841-1901 appear on commercial sites, the only place to see the original rather than a transcription is on the Scotlands People website, which is a "Pay for" site rather than a Subscription site. It's free to search, but to actually look at the record it will cost you 6 credits (30 credits cost £7.50 I think). The 1911 census is only available on Scotland's People.

The site also has bmd's - there are privacy rules but you can view and download copy certificates of births over 100 years old, marriages 75 years and deaths 50 years.

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search-our-records

There are Scottish bmd's on the free to use Family Search site
https://familysearch.org/search

This would appear to be your family in 1891 with Mary Beaton b 1884 with siblings and parents - from Find My Past

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Pri House, Stornoway, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Norman Beaton Head Married Male 33 1858 Fisherman Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
Annie Beaton Wife Married Female 33 1858 - Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
Mary Beaton Daughter - Female 7 1884 Scholar Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
Murdo Beaton Son - Male 5 1886 Scholar Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
Alexander Beaton Son - Male 3 1888 - Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
Catherine Beaton Daughter - Female 1 1890 - Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
Donald A Beaton Son - Male 0 1891 - Stornoway, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland

Are you wanting to go backwards or forwards with your search?

greyghost

greyghost Report 10 Apr 2017 22:52

You might also find this sort of information on the Family Search site (which also has census record transcriptions in USA)

Norman Beaton
mentioned in the record of Murdo Beaton
Name Norman Beaton
Sex Male
Wife Annie Macrae
Son Murdo Beaton

Other information in the record of Murdo Beaton
from Illinois, Cook County Deaths
Name Murdo Beaton
Event Type Death
Event Date 09 May 1949
Event Place Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States
Address 1425 Diversey Pkwy
Gender Male
Age 50
Marital Status Married
Race White
Occupation Stone Setter
Birth Date 14 Jun 1898
Birthplace Storoway, Isle Of Lewis, Scotland
Funeral Home Zwald Funeral Home
Burial Place Chicago, , Illinois
Cemetery Mount Olivet
Father's Name Norman Beaton
Mother's Name Annie Macrae
Spouse's Name Mary
Informant's Name Mary Beaton
Entry Number 14278
Citing this Record
"Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1994," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2M4-RRCV : 17 May 2016), Norman Beaton in entry for Murdo Beaton, 09 May 1949; citing Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States, source reference , record number , Cook County Courthouse, Chicago; FHL microfilm .

Daniel

Daniel Report 10 Apr 2017 22:57

Thank you very much! I've already got information for previous generations, I was just wondering if there are still any relatives out there who are into the genealogy stuff. I know that there are some relatives out there, just not who or where :)

Thank you for your information on Murdo, I'd heard that someone had emigrated to the U.S. but didn't know who.

patchem

patchem Report 10 Apr 2017 23:59

Look in 'Search', 'Search All Members Trees', top right, to see if anyone on here has any of your relatives in their trees.

Added:
When I entered 'John Morrison, 1881, Stornoway' I got no hits. Only when I entered John Morrison, 1881, and then scrolled through 3 pages did I get to your entry.

Suggest you re-enter Stornoway to the 'approved' genes formula, so that others can find you.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Apr 2017 02:17

greyghost I applaud your clear and useful explanations :-)

Just in case anyone else got a little confused as I did, the Murdo Beaton aged 5 in the 1891 census must have died in childhood - from Scotland's People:

BEATON MURDO aged 9
088/ 42
Stornoway

so the Murdo Beaton, also son of Norman and Annie, who died in the US would be a child given the same name born after his death.

People in the US are more likely to have family trees at Ancestry than at this site, and sure enough Murdo 1898 is in a tree there

according to that tree he married Mary Margaret Hayes (1902–1985) in 1927 in Chicago, after he emigrated in 1924, and they had one child marked 'Private' so might still be living.

The tree also shows a daughter of Angus Beaton 1892 -- Margaret (1931-1997), who was born in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. It shows Angus as having died in abt 1931 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

It would probably be worth contacting that tree owner as they seem to have knowledge of the children who emigrated but not of the others, although your Mary Beaton's death is shown. The tree owner there is in Canada.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Apr 2017 02:21

Murdo seems to have had only the one child (private in that family tree but shown in the 1940 US census)

Name: Murdo Beaton
Estimated birth year: abt 1898
Birthplace: Scotland
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Home in 1940: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Street: Diversey Parkway
Citizenship: Having first papers
House Owned or Rented: Rented
Value of Home or Monthly Rental if Rented: 10
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: Elementary school, 8th grade
Hours Worked Week Prior to Census: 40
Class of Worker: Wage or salary worker in private work
Weeks Worked in 1939: 42
Income: 1680
Income Other Sources: No
Murdo Beaton 42
Mary Beaton 37
Norman Beaton 10 (aged 0 in the 1930 census)

The logical name :-)

Daniel

Daniel Report 11 Apr 2017 02:22

Thank you very much!! I shall get onto this!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Apr 2017 02:40

in the 1921 Canada census there is an Angus Beaton c1893 in British Columbia but yours is probably the one in Saskatchewan

Name: Angus Beaton
Marital Status: Single
Birth Year: abt 1893
Birth Place: Scotland
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father Birth Place: Scotland
Mother Birth Place: Scotland
Year of Immigration: 1913
Racial or Tribal Origin: Scotch (Scotish)
Province or Territory: Saskatchewan
District: Kindersley
Municipality: Praridale

(no one else in household)

There were 3 Angus Beatons about the right age in the Canadian Expeditionary Forces in WWI.

This one is yours: born in 1892 in Vatisker, mother Mrs Annie Beaton. He was a conscript. (As a farmer he would have been exempt to start.)

Click on the image to enlarge it, then go back and click on

Digitized service file - PDF format: B0542-S021

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=30981

... the digitized file wouldn't open for me, so if that happens, click the download symbol and open in Foxit or whatever reader you use.

The records tend to be mostly medical. There are 42 pages of often confusing handwriting that you can plough your way through.

Since the tree shows daughter Margaret's death with no married surname, it seems likely that Angus does not have descendants in Canada, unfortunately.

We crossed in the 'post' :-) You're welcome!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Apr 2017 02:50

This seems to be the death referred to in the Ancestry tree, but there is no info there, and no Margaret Beaton graves are shown in Saskatchewan.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=116597041&

Saskatchewan vital records indexes have been stagnant for years and are pretty much useless. Angus's marriage and death would fall outside privacy cutoffs, but no marriages are available on line, and deaths only to 1917.

http://genealogy.ehealthsask.ca/vsgs_srch.aspx

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Apr 2017 03:04

for info about kids up to 1901, this is the household in that year

Ann Beaton 45
Mary Beaton 17
Alexander Beaton 14
Alexander D Beaton 11
Augus Beaton 8
Jessie Beaton 5
Murdo Beaton 2
Norman Beaton 2 Mo

father Norman away visiting? although the age is quite off

Angus MacKaskill 34
Margaret MacKaskill 32
George MacKaskill 8
Margaret MacKaskill 4
Henrieatta MacKaskill 1
Ann MacKaskill 76
Norman Beaton 62
Ann Beaton 30
John MacKaskill 11

Margaret might be a married daughter? if he was married before Annie ... I don't see another Norman but Ancestry's transcriptions aren't to be trusted.

Daniel

Daniel Report 11 Apr 2017 03:12

I've been on Ancestry and it tells me that Margaret and her mother (same name) travelled back to the UK in 1932, which explains lack of info for Margaret in Canada. Will check ScotlandsPeople records to see if she appears there. Thanks once again for your help!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Apr 2017 03:28

Ah, good work. Keep us posted!

But keep in mind that lack of info in Canada often just means lack of *access to* info, because privacy rules are strict. You would not find records of her birth, marriage or death accessible because of the cutoff rules (e.g. 100 years for births).

However since Margaret Sr was also from Scotland and she was widowed, and it was 1932 on the Prairies (dust bowl and depression), returning home could have been her best and possibly only option.

Daniel

Daniel Report 11 Apr 2017 11:20

I went onto ScotlandsPeople and found her. They'd returned to Stornoway and she lived there until her death in 1997. She married a guy called John Angus Maciver in 1959 so it's possible there are still living children/grandchildren. I found them on a family tree on Ancestry, so I have contacted tree owner to see if they have any further information.

Regarding Norman Beaton, he died a few months before the 1901 Census, so that is not him.

Daniel

Daniel Report 12 Apr 2017 12:33

Just a little update- I managed to find out more about Norman. He was a soldier in the Korean War. He returned home and married his wife, Katherine Jane, and they lived in Lake Zurich, Illinois. Katherine passed away in 2007 and Norman passed away in 2012. But, they had two daughters, Laura and Sandra, who still live in Florida and California respectively. I have contacted them on Facebook and await a reply. Still no reply from the Ancestry tree owner, but hopefully that will come in due course.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me over the last few days with this, I'm extremely grateful for your contributions!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 12 Apr 2017 14:07

Very well done, Daniel.

Keep this up and you will have nothing to occupy yourself when you retire but sudoku! :-)

I started my ancestral hunt in about 2003. Info was only beginning to come on line at that time. I would never have been able to find 90% of what I now know, having ancestors scattered all over England, half from places I had no idea of, and knowing nothing at all of some of them beyond the odd great-grandparent. Databases and search engines (and of course the volunteers who have made many of them possible) revolutionised the game and mean that you've done in a few days what would have taken you a long time, before them, and to a large extent would have been impossible.

If you do decide to do some DNA testing, you may find that a hobby in itself. :-)