Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wartime marriages, Alexandria, Egypt

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 8 Sep 2013 21:16

Does anyone know whether St. Mark's Church, Alexandria was used by British servicemen during WWII for wartime marriages?

Kind regards
Sue

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Sep 2013 22:39

If you read this you will see that at least one serviceman got married there so I suppose others may have done too:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/93/a3880893.shtml

Kath. x

Susan

Susan Report 9 Sep 2013 14:16

Thanks Kath,

Thanks to your suggestion I've now read the entry, and yes that is the same church where my late father married his first wife.

I have a GRO of their marriage certificate but have unsuccessfully been trying to access the Church's records to obtain a copy of the original.

I suppose in view of all the political turmoils which have happened in Egypt over the past few decades there is very little chance of receiving an answer to my correspondence.

Kind regards
Sue

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 13 Sep 2013 00:59

Susan, where have you been trying to access the church records?
Have you tried contacting the British Consulate in Alexandria, they may have some records. Phone number including code for Egypt is 0020 3 546 7001.
The e.mail address is mailto:[email protected]

Be patient. As with all things in Egypt (even at the best of times, and when there is no turmoil) things are not done in a hurry. Far from it!! :-0

Karen

Susan

Susan Report 14 Sep 2013 21:40

Hi Karen,

I sent an email to the British Consulate in Alexandria about five years ago and eventually received a reply stating they had no details but suggested I employ a private investigator who would charge irrespective whether or not they found any relevant information.

Obviously, I thought about this but decided against the idea and decided to continue with my own investigations and hope someone, somewhere would be able to offer me some guidance and assistance.

Actually, you've given me a good idea - perhaps I should try again and see whether I have any luck this time.

Many thanks and kind regards
Sue

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 14 Sep 2013 22:37

Hi Susan
Oh well, at least the British Consulate replied. I'm not sure what else to suggest, unless you know anyone going to Alexandria (I'm not likely to be going again in the near future) .
Personally, I wouldn't trust an Egyptian private investigator :-0

Hope you have better luck if you contact them again.

Karen (not currently in the desert)

Ru

Ru Report 21 Sep 2013 00:59

Hello susan,

Not sure if this is current or even if this is your church, but at least you can discount if no connection.

If it is you could send an email and hopefully they will reply.

Country Egypt
Denomination Coptic Orthodox Church
Website http://www.elmorkosia.net
History
Founder(s) Saint Mark
Architecture
Style Coptic
Clergy
Bishop(s) Vacant
Priest(s) Fr. Ibrahim Nawar
Fr. Marcos Gabra
Fr. Abraam Emile