Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tower Hamlets rifles

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 5 Oct 2013 16:22

Hi i am looking for info on the Tower Hamlets rifle brigade from about 1895-1905. If anyone knows where i could find a pic of the uniform they wore or where i could contact a museum who would know i'd be very grateful!!

many thanks helenx

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Oct 2013 16:40

There's quite a lot on Google.

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 5 Oct 2013 16:48

hi yes their is but it's difficult to navigate as they seem to have amalgamated into lots of other units :-( i need to find someone with a bit of knowledge or a museum to help. i can't find a service record or medal card for my grandad with any certainty, all i have is a pic and i have been told several different things by people and i have nothing concrete to go on :-(

thanks for looking xxxx

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 5 Oct 2013 17:21

When did he serve and what was his name?

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 5 Oct 2013 17:24

HIs name was
Alfred Ernest York b Nov 1885 Bow London he was def in WW1 but the uniform he's wearing is def before that, i think he lied about his age and was poss in the 2nd Boer War. I have tried and tried to solve this mystery :-(

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 5 Oct 2013 17:28

Ann have sent you a PM with the pic attached x

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 5 Oct 2013 17:48

Have you tried searching for him in the Service records on FindMyPast - for pre WW1 or Ancestry for WW1 (and possibly including earlier service). There are Boer War medal rolls on Ancestry too but there are lots of men named A York, and, of course, personal information isn't given - they are just lists of entitlements to medals.

helenhedgehog

helenhedgehog Report 5 Oct 2013 17:57

hi yes i've had a look but after narrowing it down there are still about 3 possibles. the most likely medal card doesn't have any previous service on. Also he may have been in a volunteer unit and not actually gone to war a bit like a TA type of thing prior to WW1. I just don't have anything solid to work from :-( if i could identify the uniform it would be a start.......